Thread: 1970 Colt Cobra / customized for pocket carry

1970 Colt Cobra / customized for pocket carry

I picked up a new revolver this afternoon. It is a Colt Cobra (.38 Special) made in 1973 (not 1970 - that was an error). The previous owner had a gunsmith bob the hammer, cut the grip to fit flush with the bottom of the frame, and added a white sight insert (not crazy about the sight). I have quite a few Detective Specials, Cobras, etc…but they get pocket carried less often than the S&W J-frames because of the extra bulk from the grips. Cutting the grip down to the frame makes this Cobra as comfortable as an Airweight J-frame in the pocket.

Last edited by NCBeagle; April 12th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Very nice.

It was my understanding that the Cobra came with a ejector rod shroud starting in 1973--was the addition of the shroud part of the customization?

COBRA (SECOND ISSUE)
    - .38 Spl. cal., similar to Cobra first issue, except shrouded ejector rod, some were shipped with factory installed hammer shroud. Mfg. 1973-81.
    https://store.bluebookinc.com/Instan...oduct=5&id=500

I'm not generally enamored by Colts, but that looks good.
    The Antibubba

If you are a Jew who supports gun control, you've either forgotten the lessons of the Holocaust, or you never learned them in the first place.

You are correct....the gun is a 1973. I misread the serial number chart on Proofhouse. 1973 is mistyped as 1970. The shrouded ejector should have given it away.

In any case, it's hard to imagine anyone not being pleased with it. Congratulations.

thats a beautiful cobra you have there enjoy her and let us know how she shoots.

Agreed! I'm not a Colt fan and do mostly Smiths with a couple of Rugers but yours sure looks good. Congratulations!
    If the sun's up, you still have a pulse and background radiation levels are nominal -- everything else is gravy! ChAir Force Specialty Code 1825K // My oath to "defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" has no DOS. . . .

The 1970 Colt Cobra pistol is very attractive and I like that you shared about this historic weapon. The bestdissertations can make a big difference when we have no ideas what can be the best for us.

Dissertation Writing Services

Its a very nice gun. Small yet deadly. But don't you think its very old and how much damage it can done with a long range?
    PHD thesis writers