Thread: Do you think Deer could smell hot choculate?

Do you think Deer could smell hot choculate?

I've been fighting a terrible cold for 4 days now and tomorrow it's supposed to 15 degree's with a 10-20mph wind when I get up in the stand first thing in the morning. I'm thinking it would be really nice two hours in to have a cup or two of hot choculate from a thermos. In the past I've never taken anything like that because I felt like the deer would smell it . . ..what say you?

I wouldn't worry too much, i ate a tuna sandwich in my stand the other day with 3 does right under my stand

deer aren't the super ninja bomb sniffing animals the companies like scent killer make them out to be, imho

Just put out your usual scents, maybe a little scent killer on your clothes and you should be good to go with your hot chocolate. besides its not like you need to sit with it out for an hour, drink it and put it away

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Coffee, hot chocolate, Tea or hot soup have at it. They aren't associated with danger, might even trick some of them closer to check it out. Ive gone out smelling like woodsmoke, sweat, and gun oil and it never seemed to bother the deer. Fidgeting will get their attention and send them packing.

My brother had a nice 10 pointer stop 20' from him and stare at him for a good 30 seconds to listen to him snore. I couldn't shoot because I would have had to shoot over his head.

I know another guy who got a visit from a nice buck while he was doing what the bears do in the woods. Long night in the local slurp and burp then an early morning breakfast of sausage and greasy eggs didn't set well with his city belly. He got the deer but had to leave his pants behind and rode home with a potato sack wrapped around him. Deer are mighty curious animals attracted to the strangest things.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

ROFLMAO . . . . . . . . .

Thanks guys. . .Hot Choculate and little marshmellows sitting next to my sandwich for lunch. I feel like a little kid at christmas every year when deer season rolls around . .never thought I'd feel like that again.

My dog and I walk outside with deer in the pasture and they only walk off a few yards. My wife cooks some really great smelling things all the time and the deer still come right up to the house...and yes, we hunt them here. We're not even allowed to feed 'em or put out a salt block.
    The uneducated and the misinformed are easily led astray. -- John Mellencamp

I remember when Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms was a shopping list and not a government agency.

I dunno, the more time I spend deer hunting the more I think deer either can't smell **** or aren't smart enough to figure it out. I sit in my stand and smoke, drink my coffee, eat my snacks, cut the cheese, ect...the deer just walk right up underneath me. I think they are curious about smells. Seems like if I light up a cig, or crack open the thermos the deer come out the woodwork to see what's going on. So I tap my foot on the tree, they look up at me, and I plug em in the face. I never have to track em down, or figure out where exactly I dropped them at. Works like a charm and I fill the freezer every year. Deer just aren't that smart about smells I think. Noise or quick movement, however, will spook a deer off quick as a blink. just my opinion and experience.
    "What's next?Maybe a ban on lips so you won't shoot your mouth off at someone?" ~Pbearperry

"In fact, if I ever got shot while holding one, I fully expect the rifle to yell at me in Russian to get up and stop being such a pansy." ~CannonFodder in reference to the SKS

Well, if you pull the cork on your thermos and deer start showing up, that'd be a good indicator they can.
    "We've got 'em now boys!"--George A Custer, June 25th, 1876, Little Big Horn, Mont.

Well I didn't have any show up while I was drinking the hot choculate but it did make me alot happier after 2 hours at 15 degree's with a 15mph wind blowing in my face! Just got done field dressing the biggest buck I've ever gotten. It's an 8 pointer (should be a 10 . .has one broken tine and one that's just shy of an inch) and he's a heavy bugger. I'm pretty damn happy!!

"...felt like the deer would smell it..." They would. However, if Bambi can smell the chocolate, he'd smell you too. The scent of chocolate moves on the same winds as your smell does.

Ive been in the stand before with hot chocolate, crackers, slim jims etc and them all around me.

next time you go hunting take a bottle of vanilla extract with you and pour some on a tree in front of your stand on the upwind side. Watch the deer walk right up to it to sniff it.

Human BO is what they associate danger with.

Hot chocolate may attract a doe but never a buck.

Here and There in Indiana and a little bit in Maryland too
    this is somwhat of a sore topic amongst my hunting buddies over here.

My hunting buddies gripe at me all the time when they can smell that I didn't use the hunting shampoo and soap. (I was once accused of being the best smelling hunter they have ever come across) I counter at them that I know how to use the wind and my personal soap and shampoo is not a threatening scent. Seriously... all my stuff is all flowery,vanilla, or sandalwood scented stuff...how can those smells be threatening? I have seen many a deer passing downwind of me...

However... I do carry peanut butter sandwiches to eat on the theory that my peanut butter breath might be somewhat of an attractant...eh....

When I first started hunting I would keep everything in scent bags and boots in scented box. My hunt would start like this: leave the house in only my warm undergear... arrive at hunt area... spray self with fresh earth spray... put outer gear on... spray ... gather hunt gear... spray then down too... walk to trail entrance... take off sandals and put on boots... spray... hunt...
    I still saw deer and foxes take notice of my trail to the stand. My hunting success is no different from when I used to be paranoid about my scent to now... I still use scent bags and cover scents and most of the time I wash with the hunting soap and shampoo... but as long as I use the wind... I still see deer... I actually shot the largest buck of my hunting career when I was still wearing makeup and perfume from an earlier shopping trip.

go figure
    It was an eat bugs kinda day.

What's the difference between a scent bag and a garbage bag? I've been using the same garbage bag for the last 2 years . . .of course my cloths get hung outside for a month before I use them. (nice to have a pole barn with an 8 foot porch! )

hiker44, is your sig sarcasm? just wondering as melloncamp is a raging liberal.

And why not? No one can resist the smell of delicious hot chocolate.

That's right. Whatever you are, chocolate will make you human. This treat is very tasty and can do many different things, such as boost endorphins. No wonder they say that chocolate is a symbol of love. I can advise you https://chocolateandlove.com so that you can see what natural chocolate is like.

Do you think Deer could smell hot choculate?

Deer can smell up to a mile away just depending on the conditions but whether or not they will care about it is another thing. Deer are very curious creatures as well. My husband and I are avid hunters, he can pee out of his tree stand and still have deer come within 40 yards of him. It's wise to keep human smells to a minimum but I'd say go for it.