Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gosh Darnit I Hate the Democratic Underground!!!

Gosh Darnit I Hate the Democratic Underground!!!

. . . AND IM A DEMOCRAT!!!

(well sort of, I think Im a libertarian in the closet but Im not posting about me)

I used to post over at the DU to try and stem the tibe of bullpoop that comes from that forum, well after about 6 posts correcting anti's over stupid mistakes (such as full auto vs semi or the little spoken about auto loader urgh they though that meant full auto too) I had all my comments deleted and my account permantly banned, even though they say that you will be tempo banned most of the time / or for first infractions (yea its been 4 months now. . . ) well I still read that site even though it boils my blood just to make sure their are some democrats defending RKBA against democrats, Fire_Medic_Dave comes to mind as being the most consistant defender of 2nd Amendment Issues. Thanks Dave!!
    But I came across this recently and had to do / say something because this was just blatently ignorant, some of you might of heard of this guy.

The imfamous Iverglas from Canada tell us how our gun laws should work, god I hate this guy. Well I had to write the admins at DU a letter, and just had to post Iverglas' comment and my letter for the boards reveiw. Do you guys have any strategies for converting Democrats, I say this because on a recent poll HALF of their members owned at least one firearm, so the whole crowd is not a lost cause, and for every one we take away from them we gain one!

My Letter Below
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    My account: Seenterman was permanently banned by your admin’s after posting under the firearm section of your thread with no explanation, even after two attempts by me to understand the reason but that is besides the point.

iverglas (1000+ posts)
    Sat Nov-22-08 01:47 AM
    Response to Original message

22. you mean it is because they are

racist misogynist right-wing @$$H0les?

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
    ( EDIT: CURSE FILTER He wrote the bad word in normal text and it appeared I just want everyone to know what he wrote)

Comments like this continue to appear on the DU in regards to gun owners; this one in regards of gun owners buying more firearms due to Obama being elected president. Your admin’s do not see fit to rein them in, but harshly silence pro firearm posters. I see this as a blatant bias against gun owners as I never personally attacked or made such bias sweeping remarks about a single group of people. This is akin to racist remarks or comments, generalizing, sweeping, derogatory remarks about one group of people. I hope in future your admins will realize that democrats and republicans alike enjoy practicing their Second Amendment rights afforded to us by the Constitution and curtailing future comments like this against Second Amendment supporters; which are just ignorant. Continuing to allow comments like this on your board, only future alienates possible Democratic supports. I’d like to see some type of action in the form of a temporary revocation of posting privileges or something to that nature; a response as well from one of your admins would be great, thanks for you time.
    -WL
    Last edited by Seenterman; November 24th, 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Clarity

It's a little hard to extract who's sayin' what in your post, but I get the general picture.

Looks to me like they don't like the First Amendment, either.

(Yeah, I know, it's their board and they can block what they like, but it's the same mindset.)

I personally do not like entering known dangerous or frustrating situations.

Spend your energy elsewhere.

No. Wait.

Invest your energy elsewhere.

Do you guys have any strategies for converting Democrats,
    There isn't much you can do. Leftists generally don't change their opinions until something drastic happens to them, an epiphany if you will, like the Rodney King riots...THEN it becomes important. Leftists are emotional people predominantly. I'm not saying they can't be logical. I am saying that their attempt at logic will almost always be overwhelmed or blocked by their emotions.

Take a leftist shooting. Change his emotions first, then his mentality will slowly begin to change. There was a good example of this I saw on Google video(?) a while back. It was about a woman who was virulently anti-gun living for thirty days with a father and son who did a lot of shooting. In the end, her mentality began to change. It didn't change over night, but there was a noticeable crack in her Brady Armor when it was over. I think the program was called "30 Days".
    PR
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "The people do not know what is best for themselves. Therefor we must FORCE the people to be happy!"

Seenter - Unfortunately, there's idiots all over the place. Somehow on the internet you find a much higher ratio of them then offline.
    Reason being, it typically is only the true diehards (which tend to be the more extreme of the bunch) that will go out of their way to find sites like DU. Same can be said of sites like RedState and Townhall (both of which i'm similarly banned from for simply asking where someone got their information)

As for "Leftists are emotional people predominantly" that's about as absurd as saying republicans are all racist misogynists. Generalizations and stereotypes like that make us all feel dumber after reading them, whether they're directed at us or not.

You have KOOL AID drinkers in both/all political parties. The anti gun Dems and anti gun Reps play the CARDS. One is more anti gun (Most of the time in Congress.) and the other claims that they are NOT as anti gun but they are ANTI FREEDOM and pro ignoring/shredding the Constitution as much as the Dems!

Some of the ANTI GUN people are RINO aka neo con artists aka neo conservatives (UGH!) who are NOT old fashioned, Constitution loving, limited government, tax saving, keep out of my private life, for border control, etc. REPUBLICANS.

The above goes for ANTI GUN Democrats too!

There are PRO GUN Dems and there are PRO GUN Reps.

People can't think outside of the BOX or R wing or L wing or any other name. They all want to play the cards NO matter what the card of the day is.

There was a thing called RED STATE blog or website that absolutely REFUSED TO LET ANY RON PAUL PEOPLE SPEAK UP ABOUT HIM AND THE OTHER SO CALLED REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES worse off LIBERTARIANS! I wrote about this bs and the owner/moderators not only BANNED the PAUL people but he/she deleted and edited their content.

I did NOT and do NOT belong there but I was searching for one of my gun/political buddies who posted there on and off - a Vietnam era Marine - retired man now. I was THINKING about joining UP there and when I read that deal about them and the PAUL supporters... I basically said, "SELF, you don't need those types of people and FAUX FOX or CNN or ? mass media, Rush/Bush worshippers, liars who claim that they are conservatives (NOT!), Constitution shredders, war mongering nut jobs, etc."

I could not believe some of the crapola that I read on that so called conservative site - it was just as bad as the LEFT anti gun site only these guys swallowed a truck load of KOOL AID!

Well, those people got what they wanted... the same old BS, LIES, THEFT of their MONEY and THEFT of their FREEDOM. ETC.!!!

They got it from Bush and they got it from Clinton/Reno and they will get it from the NEW anti gun - same old - same old Obama. UGH! They had their chance - they did NOT have the brains, common sense and TESTICULAR FORTITUDE TO THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX AND VOTE FOR A REAL 'AMERICA FIRST' MAN = PAUL WHO WAS AND IS TOTALLY PRO GUN ALL OF THE WAY!!!

Catherine
    Last edited by Catherine; January 15th, 2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Typo
    Closed Account

I had never gone to DU before...

I think my eyes may still be bleeding.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

I take exception...

NoNeedforaName said:
    Generalizations and stereotypes like that make us all feel dumber after reading them,
    I have never felt dumber after reading anything, but I note you're tied up with how we "all" "feel" and not so much with what we perceive.
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

Iverglas is a she, not a he. If you think she doesn't like gun-owning Democrats, do NOT get her started on (L/l)ibertarians. On second thought, do. Maybe she'll have an apoplectic fit
    Rule 37: There is no "overkill". There is only "Open fire", and "I need to reload".
    "7 Habits of Highly Effective Pirates", quoted in Schlock Mercenary

I have never felt dumber after reading anything, but I note you're tied up with how we "all" "feel" and not so much with what we perceive.
    want a cookie?

I used to post on DU, back when i thought I was a democrat.

It's not tolerant of dissenting opinion. It's pretty much a mirror image of Free Republic, which is not very tolerant of dissenting opinions, either.

Only liberal democrats are welcome. I got banned in 2003 and never looked back.

My new favorite political board is Neutral Underground -- they do a pretty good job of trying to keep the debate "High Road", and keep balance among mods. I have the same screenname there, if you sign up and want to give me the reference!
    Too many people {trade} rights {for} morality. I am certain that everyone here wants to live in a moral society. But, if you are going to live in a free society, you have to be willing to let people corrupt themselves. -- paraphrased from Sheik Yerbouti

That iverglas person has no life. Why bother trying to edumacate her/him/it? It sits on the internet all day blathering and blathering, liking to see their words stir S#!+ up.
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Quote Originally Posted by ProficientRifleman
    There isn't much you can do. Leftists generally don't change their opinions until something drastic happens to them, an epiphany if you will, like the Rodney King riots...THEN it becomes important. Leftists are emotional people predominantly. I'm not saying they can't be logical. I am saying that their attempt at logic will almost always be overwhelmed or blocked by their emotions.
    Lefties have their particular hot-button issues about which they are particularly emotional -- But righties do, too, for different issues.

This isn't a foible that only affects those of a particular political mindset.
    Too many people {trade} rights {for} morality. I am certain that everyone here wants to live in a moral society. But, if you are going to live in a free society, you have to be willing to let people corrupt themselves. -- paraphrased from Sheik Yerbouti

I had never gone to DU before...
    Most non-Democrats refer to that site as "DUng".
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

After reading this thread I decided to check out the website. I've been there once or twice before after reading about it on this website in the past. Some of the stuff posted there boggles my mind.

Example #1:
    "I'm all for the right to own a gun or ten but I just don't want one until I need it"

Ok well, this person supports the right to own guns which is nice but when you need a gun, you pretty much need it right then and there. You probably wont have time to go out and make a purchase.

Example #2:
    "If I needed a firearm for home defense, I would move to another neighborhood."

I agree that if you live in a bad neighborhood, by all means get out of there, you will be safer. That being said, home invasions happen all the time in nice/safe neighborhoods. Violence and crime can happen anywhere, you can't really run away from that and it's best to be prepared.
    "They say a bullet always tells the truth. It never lies."

A liberal is a conservative who has just been arrested, a conservative is a liberal who has just been mugged.

We have to be kind and generous to them, it worked on me!
    I was very liberal during Reagan and Bush41 and most of the Clintonadmin, Conservatives simply treated me much better then libs did.
    (sorry,I am not a real gunsmith)

Life Member NRA

May the force never kick in your door at 3am!

The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it.
    George Orwell

guns don't kill people,well placed shots in vital organs do!

You know, I'd seen comments referring to "DU" before and couldn't figure out where all the hate for Dvorak Uncensored was coming from. This post has straightened me out, at last. As a recent Democrat, I'll mosey on over to the site and see about some constructive remonstration.

AZAndy, I predict you'll be banned in short order for trying.

Nothing against you - just based on what I've seen there over the years (and I don't even peek in there that often). If you're hatefully-intolerant of firearms owners, you can say whatever you want there, up to and including outright violation of DU's posted rules of conduct; if you urge calm, reasoned conversation about the facts of the "gun control issue" and respect for the rights of tens of millions of innocent, peaceful, law-abiding, firearms-owning American citizens who've never done anything wrong, you will AT BEST be "shouted down" by some of the prominent posters there, and PROBABLY banned for your temerity.
    "It's time we quit solving the wrong problem
    The problem is the bad guy, not his tools.
    Solve that."
    - ArfinGreebly, mod at THR.us

Administrator   
    I almost went there, decided I swim in enough effluvent at work.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I think many people of both major parties are convinced of the moral superiority of their political party, and often check their willingness to actually discuss and reason at the door.

I look at the Bush administration, for example, and ask myself for examples of the limited government, lower taxes principles that I thought Republicans believed in (being confused with the thought that Republican and conservative might be used interchangeably). With Democrats, I believe the majority actually believe that gun control laws that they might pass are actually reasonable and helpful, without actually trying to understand that some of the underlying assumptions in gun control are just not based in fact.

Rifleman is right; generally some epiphany is needed in a person's life to be willing/able to step back and examine one's true beliefs and principles, compared with what is being preached by the party with which you have affiliated.

I was very liberal during Reagan and Bush41 and most of the Clintonadmin, Conservatives simply treated me much better then libs did.
    If you really want to be treated like crap, tell the libs you "converted." Anyone who leaves the "intellectual plantation" is anathema. That's why they have such a special hatred for conservative women and minorities.

I thought I was going to get banned eventually, so I posted a topic in General that read "Is owning guns like being gay?" and left the board.

Boy, you should have seen the knots people got twisted into!
    Gun control is archaic, outdated, ageist, racist, classist, and sexist. It has no place in a modern, tolerant, and liberal society. Being pro-gun is a liberal value.

armedbuddhist.blogspot.com

John, I looked up that thread and viewed a few others. That board is chaos. At least you had some fun. And I took all my guns out of the closet, they are leaning in every corner of two rooms....

Our local radio show has a liberal that comes on and demeans the whole conservative movement all the time. Today's rant was that "anybody who buys an AK-47 is probably going to end up in a militia or end up committing a mass murder".

I managed to call in later and replied that his rant was like somebody classifying every black person in the audience as a member of de' hood, driving a Buick or Cadillac, and getting welfare. I work in a primarily African American business environment, and deal with some total professionals who are running a multi-billion dollar company... so why the stereotypes?

Generalizations like that are how liberals think... and they always tend to "group" people based on their prejudices... i.e., gun owners are all right wing extremists; if you have a gun, you're in a militia; if you believe in God, you're a radical... it just goes on and on. They don't tend to see themselves as prejudiced, but it oozes out in everything they do and say.

Just like their "Bush bashing" for the past eight years is to them... "subjective analysis", even though most of what they said were outright lies. The one thing that they seem to be realizing now, way too late, is that Chairman Zero isn't the "savior" they thought him to be, and that somebody else is pulling the strings. Like most "analysis" by liberals, their thought process is the product of being "flower children". Anybody with a rational thought knows that all they are capable of being is "bloomin' idiots"... but make no mistake about it, they'll correct the world and mold it in their image if they have to spend every dime you've got to do it.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

I might be a little "out of it"

as I thought DU meant Ducks Unlimited! But I can answer this op question

yea, but it involves guns and bad guys.
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

Groupthink or shared psychosis? Birds of a feather flock....

DU Democratic Underground.

I read about a study that tested people's emotions and political identification. Folks who self identify as liberal or progressive are more likely to get angry, stay angry and plot revenge against people they get angry at than folks who self identify as conservative or libertarian. It's all about feelings and emotion.

Reading Democratic Underground just re-enforces that impression. Especially the lead-up to the 2004 elections. They sound like the Film Actors Guild puppets from Team America: World Police.
    Last edited by Carl N. Brown; April 30th, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: title
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.