Thread: Concealed Carry Jacket

Concealed Carry Jacket

I just got an email from my sister-in-law who just happens to a be a really cool wifey for my little brother because she buys him gun stuff for Christmas. Anyway, she was asking me about concealed carry jackets and which ones were the ones that I thought were the best as she is planning on getting him one.

My little brother carries a Glock 23 in .40 S&W and maybe one extra magazine. He is about 6 ft. tall, maybe 180 lbs. He lives in Austin, TX where they do have some freezing temps but not routinely so. He is probably a standard length jacket kind of guy as opposed to long cuts.

What suggestions have ye? The only thing that I could come up with off of the top was the Sig Tac line of jackets in their Pro Shop. I just don't know anything about them other than how they look, nor do I know if it would be possible to carry a G23 in one since those are made by Sig.

Thanks folks!
    NRA Life Member

My elected officials know and are routinely reminded of what I expect of them. Can you say the same?

Coronado Leather http://www.coronadoleather.com/ makes extremely high quality jackets for concealed carry wear. Along with the high quality goes a price to match but it is absolutely the best stuff around.
    GOOD SHOOTING

ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISON AND HEARING

Yeah, they're showing two jackets. One is $450 and the other is $600!!
    Last edited by Buck Snort; November 25th, 2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Another possible sourcr:

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/

I wear a leather Sig Sauer CCW jacket almost daily in the cooler months and in Ohio that's pretty much 3/4 of the year. I LOVE my jacket and it does a great job of concealing any pistol I own. I currently just keep a small Rohrbaugh R9 in it's inside posket/holster and no one is ever the wiser. I've used it to carry a Commander sized 1911, as well as a Colt Agent and a Colt New Agent. I've own it for almost 2 years now and it still looks practically new. I HIGHLY recommend them. Beware the sizing though. If you normally wear a large you should try a medium, and if you normally wear an XL try a large. I always wear medium size jackets and it was WAY too big for me and I had to find a small. just an FYI

http://www.sigarms.com/SigStore/Show...&productid=196

I love my 5.11, but I don't CCW in it, just use it for cover and to carry ammo, etc. Reasonably priced.
    NRA Benefactor
    Miss. St. Firearms Owners Assn.
    LEAA Member
    Eagle Scout
    Professional Engineer

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."

I use this inexpensive (relatively) jacket from SportsmansGuide.

Not fashionable, but functional. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=406533

Wilson Leather used to make jackets for use with holster that they made. I don't know if they still do.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

Ever think about one of the leather vests? It works under any jacket/coat, fits in better in Texas, is usable in any but the really hot weather.

For the Summer, he could get a canvas one from 5.11.

Stupid East Coast and its fashions...

This is harder than it should be.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

I've seen those jackets from Sportsman's Guide up close, they are nice jackets and they work...
    Remember boys and girls, gun control only prevents law abiding Americans from owning guns because the BGs dont obey the laws, no matter how restrictive or lenient the laws are!

I use this inexpensive (relatively) jacket from SportsmansGuide.

Not fashionable, but functional. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=406533
    I'm thinking about ordering this, how would the holster work out with a XD? Just wanting some input before buying since I can't tell much from the pictures.

My friend uses the jacket with a 4" revolver but I'm sure it will work well with a semi-auto.
    Remember boys and girls, gun control only prevents law abiding Americans from owning guns because the BGs dont obey the laws, no matter how restrictive or lenient the laws are!

I was more thinking about how secure of a fit an XD would have.

The "pocket/holster" had an adjustable strap which aids in stability.

Thanks. Unfortunately they are sold out everywhere.

I have worn a Coronado for years, excellent concealment for 2 full-size pistols or one with several spare mags. I carry a Glock 17 in mine, sometimes I used to carry a 17 and 34 or a revolver as a second gun, no printing. Excellent products.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

I got my guide gear jacket today. It looks good and I'm pretty happy. The holster could set back a little farther to help keep the grip out of site from someone standing beside you. Also the straps to hold the magazines in are real long and are held with velcro. I don't know what they were thinking, but you would need something like a 30 round Glock mag to even come close to the strap adjusting tight enough. My friend is going to do a little modifying. I think the XD is a little big for it, and the 17 rounds mags too small. Go figure.

Sportsman's Guide also has a vest that could be worn under an outer jacket and kept on when you go inside and take off the outer jacket.
    -Joe

My 5.11 ran one size too large, had to return it and get another one. The NRA stitching screams GUN to even lay people however. I wore it to work one spring morning and a coworker asked if I had a gun in the car. Good grief! I need something less obvious. The jacket has enough pockets and hidden seams that it could hold enough weapons and ammo for a small battallion, but I'm not sure how practical it is. I like the Sportsman's Guide Coat, it looks like a fall jacket that any average guy would wear. I'm going to get one. Some good practical advice on this forum. Thanks
    Last edited by 41Mags4ever; June 2nd, 2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: forgot a comment

The SigTac's are really nice, but if he gets one, only get a large... I mistakenly bought an XL, but the cut is too large on me... and I am 6'3", 195. My boss at work is only about 6', 235 and it fits him like a dream... but he doesnt want it... BTW, anyone looking for a brown SigTac in XL, still has all the tags? I am asking $65, what I paid for it.