Thread: FIRE MISSION: Cub Foods - Circle Pines, MN

FIRE MISSION: Cub Foods - Circle Pines, MN

Howdy, Folks,
    I'm requesting a fire mission to take action against Cub Foods in Circle Pines, MN. One of my closest friends and mentor was stopped at Cub Foods by the manager for lawfully carrying a concealed pistol. He had been printing, which he admits. The Manager asks him if he is a cop and he replies "no" then the manager tells him to leave. He tells the manager that the store does not have a sign prohibiting firearms, recites the state statutes and so on and so forth to which the manager says that there was a sign. When there was no sign posted he said it was corporate policy. The manager asks him if he wants to call the cops and he says yes and tells him again that he has a permit, he's a Marine home on leave to see his son born and then the cops show up. The Circle Pines PD was VERY kind and courteous to my Mentor. The Manager told the police that he is not welcome back in the store and my mentor said he understood and left. My mentor then called the Cub Foods in Forest Lake, spoke with the manager who checked the books. He was told corporate policy says, just like MN law that they have to post a sign stating that firearms are not legal. In the end he was not cited but was told to leave the

He's not doing well financially so he is unable to start a Civil Suit against the store but he does have it documented in the police officer's notes and has taken pictures of their lack of a sign. If one of you know a gun-friendly lawyer that might help him out without charging him an arm and a leg, PM me and let me know. He's contacted his NRA CCL instructor and asked him to try to help and he's also going to get to the media to try to plead his case.

If any of you have any advice I can give him to stick it to this (un-high road comment) anti, speak up.

Big Kudos to Circle Pines PD for their outstanding professionalism and courtesy and to Forest Lake Cub foods who actually honors corporate policy.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

In Minnesota, if asked to leave, you must leave or can be charged. There is no need to post also.

If posted, you still must be asked to leave and refuse before you can be charged.

You have no case.

I'm surprized he was noticed as printing. Most people don't notice open carry (legal) in Minnesota.

Here's how a REAL fire mission works...

First, we need to figure out what their largest local competition is... Then...

Does the store/chain have a web site?

Does it have any email addresses available? Don't be shy - put them on other gun boards too.

Does it have any phone numbers available? Ditto.

And I bet that particular store is in the phone book.

Wait for about 10:00 tomorrow morning. Start calling, and ask to speak to the manager.

"Well, a friend of a friend got told to leave the store because he was carrying a gun, and I just to make sure of that before I switch to shopping at ______."
    Resume available upon request.
    Have good references.
    Can pass any number of drug screens.

He was asked to leave. How does that equate to a civil suit? Whether he agrees with the store policy or not that doesn't give him any civil actions. If you are claiming he has a case because the cops were called it will be laughed out of court since they did not detain him. Especially since he had a chance to leave before the cops were called.
    I would allow concealed carry in my business but I also would respect any business owners right to deny access. I just wouldn't do any business with him.

It is their store and as much as I would like for everyone to be able to open or conceal carry, it's their desision to allow it in their store.

However if someday a couple of thugs marches the store employees into the freezer to kill them, then maybe in the few minutes the manager has left, he might change his mind. Then again maybe not.

Or if a few hundred people email and call.

But THR folks aren't able to do that.
    Resume available upon request.
    Have good references.
    Can pass any number of drug screens.

Our law in Minnesota is that you cannot carry in any establishment that displays a sign (of certain dimensions and wording and placed at the entrance at eye level) OR asks/tells you to leave. Either or both and you must leave. If you don't, your permit cannot be taken or invalidated but there could be a fine.

This is probably the Cub Foods that you're talking about. It's just on the north edge of Circle Pines.

Cub Foods - Blaine East
    4205 Pheasant Ridge Dr NE
    Blaine, MN 55449

(763) 784-4368

I live 60-70 miles from there so I don't do business there but I'll definately be writing a letter to the manager on your behalf.
    Last edited by MinnMooney; January 10th, 2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: sp.
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

Here is MN 624.714 on posting:

Subd. 17. Posting; trespass. (a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person
    or clothes under a permit or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that the
    operator of the establishment or its agent has made a reasonable request that firearms not be
    brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises. A person who fails to
    leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

The key words are "... may be ordered to leave the premisis.
    A person who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.'

You must be asked to leave and refuse to leave before you can be charged.

The sign alone is not enough to be charged.

While I feel for you friend, as has been offered by others, there is nothing he can do other than shop elsewhere. I shop at Cub in Crystal, MN and open carry sometimes, and have never had an issue. Of course, I have been going to that store at least once per week for about 15 years. They know me there. I have not been asked to cover or anything by any agent of Cub. Sorry for your friend, but it seems the manager followed the law.
    Gun control means hitting your target!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.--- Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

For excellent information about statewide Minnesota carry issues as well as gun ownership in general, please take a moment to check out and register for www.twincitiescarry.com
    You won't be disappointed.

Get some of those business cards that state the hoops you jumped thru and on the other side is a handgun with the circle and slash thru it and they state:

"I respect your right to post (ask to leave) so you can respect my right to spend my money elsewhere" or something very close to that.

Get friends to hand one to the mgr and then stay out OR after buying a trunkload of whatever he sells back up to his door, go in, get him and show him what you bought at store XXXX or wherever, esp if you (they) WERE a regular.