Thread: barrel slugging

barrel slugging

everything says just to go get a lead sinker made in thailand from the fishing department thats slightly larger then bore size and push it down the muzzle after a good grease is applied. Im a rather analretentive person, and thats not logical to me.
    WOULD it be better or more accurate to merely push a ultra pure lead conical bullet of the ideal diameter down? at least idknow the lead was soft enough.

Or would it be as accurate to use a wad of candle wax?

Well, you could pay Meister for a kit with several slugs, dowel push rod, tweezers to handle the soft lead with, and some lube.
    http://www.meisterbullets.com/slugyo...elsdetails.asp

Me?
    I used a muzzleloader ball somewhat over GROOVE diameter.

No, a wad of wax will not do the job.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

When I slugged the barrel of my 7.7jap Arisaka I used a 38 caliber swaged SWC. I stuck the nose of the bullet in the muzzle and drove it in with a wooden mallet. Pushed it the rest of the way through with an old cleaning rod. Not pretty, but it worked.
    Proud member of the NRA and Texas State Rifle Association. Registered and active voter.

WOULD it be better or more accurate to merely push a ultra pure lead conical bullet of the ideal diameter down?
    The question becomes, where are you going to find an ultra pure lead conical of the ideal diameter? The purpose of slugging a barrel is to determine the ideal diameter. If you know the ideal diameter then you don't need to slug the bore.

I know that it seems imprecise to drive an oversize slug down the barrel, but that's the way it's done.

anyone interested in sending me a rb or two in the .315-.320 in a rather soft lead? cant make my own, and the only place that has em insists i get them in the nice 1/4 pound box.

"...a wad of candle wax?..." Nope. Too soft.
    A regular cast bullet works just fine. The downside is you usually have to buy 100. Big fishing sinkers are usually easier to find. The cast bullet or sinker doesn't have to be ultra pure lead. Or from Thailand.
    "...is to determine the ideal diameter..." It's to find the actual diameter of the barrel. Usually on a Lee-Enfield. Not many other rifles need to be slugged.
    Sounds like you're slugging an Enfield barrel. A regular cast .30 calibre bullet will do. Or a fishing sinker. The problem with sinkers is that they're sold by their weight with no mention of the diameter. They're not exactly cheap either.
    Cabelas, sells .315" lead RB's at $11.99 per 100 and Hornady .315" RB's at $8.99 per 100.
    Go into your local gun shop, tell 'em what you're doing and ask them if they have a few cast .30 cal bullets. Gun shops tend to have all kinds of stuff laying around. They might just give you a few.

anyone interested in sending me a rb or two in the .315-.320 in a rather soft lead? cant make my own, and the only place that has em insists i get them in the nice 1/4 pound box.
    Got any 12 Gauge 00 Buckshot? The best advice for 7.62-8mm that I received was to use the pellets from 00 Buckshot round . .nice and soft and just the right size. (and you get 9 for breaking open one round)

Just my .02

Here ya go...... Here's a write up on how I do mine,
    Works for me every time!

all the buckshot i have is copper plated and hardened by the manufacturer. not the ideal situation for anything.

Shoot my your mailing address via a PM and I'll send you a couple 00 Buckshot pellets.

Daianna

They have been trying to convince someone from the dissertation services to help them in getting it done. However, as it is the end of semester they have a lot of work to complete for the students.

Seoexpert

I think about it is most required for making more on this get engaged Buy Nembutal Pentobarbital Wales

Pushed it the rest of the way through with an old cleaning rod. Not pretty, but it worked. | https://www.leiboatcharter.com/