Thread: unknown case

Question unknown case

This case started life as a Lake City 30.06. the earliest head stamp is 63 the newest is 72.

I have found two many miles apart in the mojave desert (about 100 miles apart) and can find no information on them.

Does anyone have an informed idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lake City 30'06

Possibly because of the year of the stamp, could have been from a door gunner of a helicopter before standardized M-60's, maybe from an experimental M1919 installed as a test and flew over the desert. Or else someone just traveled a lot to shoot.

It is a 308 blank shell. I have them in this type, crimped and french head stamped plastic.

Blank round, military. Looks 7.62X51mm, for M60 MG or M14 type rifle.
    Have a nice day!

too long for .308 blank, OAL on 7.62x51 is 2.15 on a mil ctg, with that being a blank, it don't matter OAL, but it does matter on feed system. That is a Lake City 30.06 military blank. from the amount of tarnish on the ctg, been out in the desert awhile. With the OAL of the blank at 2 5/8" it will not cycle thru a m60 nor an m14 rifle. That is a half inch longer than a .308 rd. or 7.62.x51 nato.
    Real Naval Gunners Hit Harder, and Penetrate Deeper, and just as accurate without Fire Control!

Sorry, yooper, 2.15" is the case length for 7.62x51 NATO/.308 Win.
    OAL runs around 2.7" +/- depending on the exact bullet.

The illustrated cartridge is indeed a 7.62 blank, the long "nozzle" to simulate a bullet for reliable feeding in automatic weapons. Maybe made out of .30-06 reject brass.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

It is the M82 blank cartridge for use in 7.62mm weapons equipped with blank firing attachments.

Like Clermont says, it's an M82 blank. Go here and scroll down. http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...62mm_ammo.html

douuuuuuuuuugh, i do stand corrected lol. I do so apologize. Just that 2.15 stuck in my brain I just got done converting about 1000 rds of the same blank into a reloadable ctg. So the case length of 2.15 just memorized from case trimmng i still see ctgs on my case trimmer when i sleep But a good question to you old military ammo supply types is:

what would the DODAC or NALC be for 7.62 x 51 NATO M82 Blank, linked be????????

A100
    A111
    A130
    A131

still having dreams of fill out DD Form 1348 on that one as well
    Real Naval Gunners Hit Harder, and Penetrate Deeper, and just as accurate without Fire Control!

I would never use blank cartridges for reloading purposes. JMHO

brass is just as good if not better. Blank powder burns faster and higher chamber pressure than standard military powder. Matter of fact, the brass is just as thick as LC match brass. I have reloaded and shot a good plenty of blank brass to date. some 3 times fired so far. and with the rising cost of and the big scare last month of no military brass!!!!!! well don't take an accountant long to figure out that if i can pay 3 cents each for unfired LC blank brass, or 33 cents each for once fired LC brass............and at 1000 rds that is a pretty substantial savings, not say truely hand crafting my own ammuntion! But I will aslo save the discussion of converting berdan primer to boxer primer for a latter date.

And that is why they make different flavor ice cream.

vanilla strawberry swirl please

hey yooper quit your bringing back bad memories of reams of paper attempting to take over the armory
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf