Thread: Sticky for saftey rules?

Sticky for saftey rules?

can we get a sticky for firearms safteyrules in here? I think it would be good for parents that are new to firearm ownership and already have children.

Would you like the 1-rule, 3-rule, 4-rule, 10-rule (many versions!) edition--or shall we try to list as many as we can think of?

We can start at http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

You'll notice they have a 3+7 (or so) rule set-up--not bad--including "the flexible rule":
    Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
    You'll also notice that the above page at the NRA website has a link to a Parents' Guide To Gun Safety.

They are a great firearms training and safety organization. If you don't already belong to the NRA, please join.

lol i was kinda just thinking of the general commandment's of firearms saftey! like:

1) never point a gun at anything you dont want to destroy

2) treat every gun as if its loaded

3) Only place your finger on the trigger when you are ready to shoot

4) know your target and whats behind it

5) a firearm is not a toy and should not be treated as such

The rules you quote are a version of Col. Cooper's (Gunsite's) 4 rules found here, under the "Safety" tab:
    Gunsite Firearms Safety Rules

Rule #1: All guns are always loaded.
    Rule #2: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    Rule #3: Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
    Rule #4: Be sure of your target.
    Personally, I'm a more rules rather than less rules type of guy. For example, whenever I leave home, I have a little mantra I repeat:

"Where are my guns?
    Where are my kids?
    Where is the person(s) looking out for my kids?"

Make sure I haven't forgotten anything IMPORTANT on a busy day.

Rules of safety apply to everyone, and are good for shooters new and old not just parents.

In addition to the the very good NRA material, there are a bunch of threads on here about how to handle guns and kids.

Ultimately, when they are old enough, best way to make sure they are safe around guns is to teach them how to use them!

Another great site is The Cornered Cat. Not just a kid/parent site, not just a safety site, but a lot of good discussion of safety rules and how they apply to specific situations.

I'm sure others have their own favorite sites or rules to recommend.

Rules of safety apply to everyone, and are good for shooters new and old not just parents.

In addition to the the very good NRA material, there are a bunch of threads on here about how to handle guns and kids.

Ultimately, when they are old enough, best way to make sure they are safe around guns is to teach them how to use them!
    spot on!

I understand that, a sticky would be so they didnt have to search/sift through a bunch of threads to find, and if they are new to firearms and shooting how are they going to know there are saftey rules to even search for lol!!

Im not saying we need rules ONLY for parents that are new to the firearms or they dont apply to any one but new firearms owners, but this is a highly respected forum with tons of good information on it, and I was thinking a parent that recently purchased a firearm and has children in the house looking for good information on firearms in general would stumble upon this message board. Which would lead them to this sub forum.

Being a member of THR.org since 05, and trolling THR.US since it "split", AND being a brand new parent (since last week lol) seeing this sub forum peaked my intrest, and the First thing that came to mind is "no sticky for saftey and children?"

This is the "Parents' Corner" sub forum hence making a sticky for new firearms owners that have children part of my thread

Personally, I'm a more rules rather than less rules type of guy. For example, whenever I leave home, I have a little mantra I repeat:
    I figured for the new and OLD (there ya go highland ranger ) firearm owner the KISS rule would apply for the basics. I dont see any use in confusing a person lol.

KISS rule would apply for the basics.
    Agreed. And if there's any deficiency in one's chosen basics--or in how one chooses to apply them--well, that eventually will come to light.

I teach kids The Four Rules, with the mnemonic "Always/Never, Keep & Know". ..... seems to work: 8 to 10 YO kids can remember them.

I also teach "The Golden Rule of Tool Use": If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T, until you can find someone who does.
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweep
    gaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiametergeartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblings
    hallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephonehangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggas
    heavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterialjournallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotation
    keymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestatekondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpoint
    lactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratiolanguagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulse
    latereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3listsnameresolutionnaphtheneseries
    narrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebones
    palmberrypapercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregion
    readingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignmentrectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblock
    secularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysalestunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuilding
    tuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.ru
    gaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.rugeartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ru
    hallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ru
    heavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.ru
    keymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.ru
    lactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.ru
    laterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.ru
    narrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.ru
    palmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
    readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.ru
    secularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.ru
    tuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru