Thread: My homemade kydex holster

My homemade kydex holster

I finally took pics of my homemade holster.

A few months ago I got my concealed handgun permit and got a J frame (S&W 637).
    I couldn't stomach the thought of paying $60-70 for $4 worth of materials in a good kydex holster, so I made my own.
    I bought $60 worth of kydex supplies from knifekits.com. That gave me enough material for my holster, two I made for friends, and enough left over for two more. I gave the leftovers to a friend who is going to Iraq. Apparently it's hard to get good holsters so when he gets there he'll make his own.

Here are links to the pics. The photos are large and will take up too much space in this thread.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    In my pants

The holster is an IWB and tuckable design.
    I put the clip over the trigger guard to help keep the width down. Putting the clip there also helps pull the butt of the gun inward.

I've made a kydex press and will start making these to sell. Right now I can make them for non scandium J frames and also for the Taurus model 85. I might make some for Sig 228 and plan on getting an LCP and making holsters for those too.
    I sold one with a lefthanded clip to a friend for $35 but will probably bump the price up to $45. That covers cost of materials plus a moderate amount for my time.

So, whatcha think?

Make me one?

Seriously. I'm looking for something like that for my Taurus 605. One that looked good is the JS Holsters Zulu. Alas, the shop guy there didn't think that would work for mine, what with the 605's .357 length cylinder.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

Good job.

But if you are going to carry against your bare body, you should have some nice soft leather against your skin IMHO...

Reason for those that make them, going to the top of the handle and not stopping... I have one similar I made out of leather, but, as I mention it has a half flap... Actually goes over the top slightly...

Good job...

Thanks.

lee, I won't be making any for the 605...unless you want to let me borrow your gun
    Wow, that JS holster looks sloppy. I'm sure they work, but it should look nicer than that for $55. Take a look at Alabama Holster Company's appendix holster.

Harley, yes that's a good point. My belly hair is starting to dissapear where the kydex rubs and the cylinder latch can be a little annoying.
    I thought about taking some cordura or slick nylon and laminating it to some real thin foam, then attaching that to the holster to fit between me and the gun. Haven't tried it yet.
    Unfortunately I can't just extend the kydex upwards like you see on semiautos because it would eventually bend over the cylinder from pressure against my stomach and make it hard to draw.

True, mine is a little auto, 380 Beretta, 1935 model... Good observation

Regards

Reason for those that make them, going to the top of the handle and not stopping... I have one similar I made out of leather, but, as I mention it has a half flap... Actually goes over the top slightly...
    that's my thinking, too.

That's why my IWB design for the M1911 puts leather between body and gun -- and as a bonus, allows me to sew on a "button" or cam that engages the safety lock and keeps it on "safe."

Looks mighty good to me. Where do you get the belt clips?
    I have a Milt Sparks VM11 for my BHP, with belt loops. As an addition you can order belt clips, but don't want to "stand in line" so to speak. Would just as soon buy them "on line" somewhere. Thanks,

How do you mold kydex?
    If you're going to hunt humans, you should know we travel in packs. -Capt. Phillip Korso

How do you mold kydex?
    With heat. A heat gun will make it flexible as a wash cloth and you shape it to the mould and let it cool.

Right now I can make them for non scandium J frames
    Do the scandium ones fit differently?

(Nice, clean work, btw.)

Nice work.

I'd either add some leather or make the kydex itself into a barrier between belly & hammer. For me, sitting down with a hammer scraping my gut is going to make any holster into a drawer queen.

Looks mighty good to me. Where do you get the belt clips?
    I made the belt clip myself with thicker (0.125") kydex.

With heat. A heat gun will make it flexible as a wash cloth and you shape it to the mould and let it cool.
    That's how you do it. You put the kydex wrapped gun between foam and squish it to get a nice mold.

Do the scandium ones fit differently?
    Yes, the scandium j frames have scandium barrel shrouds over a steel barrel liner. it is a different barrel profile from the other J frames.

I'd either add some leather or make the kydex itself into a barrier between belly & hammer. For me, sitting down with a hammer scraping my gut is going to make any holster into a drawer queen.
    I can't really put kydex between me and the hammer because it would hang up on the cylinder when drawing.
    The hammer isn't a problem for hip/back carry, but it can be a problem for appendix carry...take a close look at my hammer. I bobbed 1/3 of it off and rounded the edges

lee, I won't be making any for the 605...unless you want to let me borrow your gun
    Of course shipping charges makes that completely not worth doing.

Might just need to try it myself.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

Consider...

I can't really put kydex between me and the hammer because it would hang up on the cylinder when drawing.
    The hammer isn't a problem for hip/back carry, but it can be a problem for appendix carry...take a close look at my hammer. I bobbed 1/3 of it off and rounded the edges.
    JC Penney sells some very clingy 60/40 cotton/polyester athletic (sleeveless) undershirts that are very long in the waist. They are great for wearing between the gun and the skin and are light enough that they do not really make you any warmer but they do tend to wick the sweat away from the gun and the holster.

Nice holster - I think you may have found a part-time occupation. The guys who make leather holsters buy aluminum models of the various guns to use as inner molds. I don't know who makes them but, if you get into this commercially, they would allow you to expand your offerings without having to buy the actual guns.

Do a google for 'blue guns'.

Good Luck,

A.T.

P.S. Do a google for 'kydex', you can buy them in 3' X 4' sheets. Much cheaper than knifekits.com
    Why doesn't the United States just use the same immigration laws of Mexico?

Of course you can. Simply extend the "groove" where the cylinder rides upward, to provide a slick channel for it to slide in when you draw.

That's a pretty good looking homemade holster. Definitely nicer than my first leather holster.
    Custom concealment holsters - www.kelloggcustomleather.com

Really custom, as in, whatever you want.