Thread: .45 Auto Euro Marking on 1911 Barrel?

.45 Auto Euro Marking on 1911 Barrel?

So I have this run of the mill Colt 1911 but it has one oddity that I think about from time to time but haven't been able to get an answer for.

The Barrel (chamber) is marked -.45 Auto Euro - and I don't know what this means or why it is marked this way. I am attaching pictures of the firearm and barrel in question. Appreciate any insight to satisfy my curiosity.

Left side of 1911

Right side of 1911

Barrel with .45 ACP round in chamber

Barrel markings
    I tan i epi tas

"There is more law in a Colt six-gun than in all the law books"

Some places have restrictions on military calibers. Could be a result of something like that.

France is one of those countries. You cannot have a firearm in a military caliber. Thus, S, Inc. has done a brisk business there with .270 Win M1As, for example. A number of cartridge variations, each a millimeter or two shorter in case than the standard military cartridge, have been developed in France to conform to the law.

While I do not have a specific reference for the ".45 Auto Euro," I strongly suspect that you have a pistol chambered for one of those short cartridges. Oh, and in some cases the cartridge cases are made longer, e.g., 9x21mm in Italy instead of 9x19mm (Luger). There are two legendary Glocks in 9x21mm, issued to a pair of DEA agents working in Italy who were forbidden 9x19.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide,
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide

Agree with Walt, I have read of a .451 Short Auto cartridge for sale in repressive markets. It considerably predates the .45 GAP.

It looks like somebody ran in a .45 ACP reamer, though. The round in the third picture appears to be headspaced properly.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

It's a Colt. So it was headspaced on the extractor

if the gun i chambered for a 45 catridge make for itlay market the correct denomination can be 45HP that mean 45 hinterberger patrone .
    45 HP is a slyght short version of the 45 acp made by austrian firm Hinterberg for the old italian colt's deeler "demarchi" firm..
    until 1989 in italy the 45 acp ruond was forbbinden..
    now the 45 HP guns like colt 1991 or the sig p220 are sold as curios item only ..

Shot with MX-2700
    on letf a 45 hp brass ,on rigth a 45 acp brass
    the gun and the barrel lack of the italian proof marks so i thing that was never put on the italian market....
    Last edited by luchs; December 20th, 2009 at 03:23 AM.
    don't hate the player, hate the game

Colt sold "overruns" of pistols intended for Europe, e.g., 7.65mm Parabellum (.30 Luger) in the US. Thus, the lack of (to Americans) foreign proofmarks.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide,
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide and The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide

European Colt 1911s chambered in .45ACP were often marked as 11.25mm

yes Colt sale on us market the weapons in "europena caliber" but the original colt 's barrel chambered for 45 HP are la market "colt-45 HP" and not "45 auto euro"..
    i have in my collection a colt 1911 series 70 original made in 9mm para conveted by a italian firm in 7,65 parabellum (30 luger) plus a 9x21 conversion unit
    in europe the guns are marked with the correct CIP's caliber denomination..
    CIP is the euro pian equivalent of the us SAAMI
    don't hate the player, hate the game