Thread: Fobus

Fobus

Thought I'd try one of those fobus holsters for my CZ-75. Turned out I couldn't even get my gun into it; too tight around the trigger area. Tried to melt things a bit with a heat gun, improved it a little but still no good and finally started melting weird. Threw it in the trash. My latest $20 lesson.

Still would like a basic Kydex holster for the CZ. Any recommendations?

Did you try to loosen the adjustment screw?

I actually like Fobus Holsters and use one in the Winter months for my Springer Compact.

My CZ-75 Fobus holster does not have the adjustment like some of my other Fobus holsters.
    Mine was very tight as well.I sprayed a little oil inside it and cycled the gun in and out untill it was right.

I'm a fan of CompTac holster. They aren't cheap, by any definition, but they work well.

www.comp-tac.com

There is also Bladetech, Blackhawk, and Bianchi.
    A proper mindset will save your life, not your gun.

Turned out I couldn't even get my gun into it; too tight around the trigger area.
    were you wearing it at the time?

if you're trying to insert or remove the gun while holding the holster in your hand, you're pulling/pushing at the wrong angle.

it's designed to release at the natural angle while you're wearing it on your belt...it says so in the directions.

i can pull mine out while it's off the belt, but you have to figure out the angle first...i have several and had the same problem before i read the directions

you might have better luck with the Blcakhawk CQC Serpa holster
    the map is not the territory

+1 to what 9mmepiphany said.

With or without the adjuster Fobus holsters need to be on the belt and they need a little time to break in.

Even with the adjustment screw it took a few pistol matches to get my 1911 holster just right.

Uncle Mike's holsters are great basic kydex. I had a Fobus with no adjustment screw, had to pop off a rivet and replace with a bolt, wingnut, and washers to get the tension right.
    Everybody wants to go to Heaven. Nobody wants to die.

A Few Years Ago...

if you're trying to insert or remove the gun while holding the holster in your hand, you're pulling/pushing at the wrong angle.

it's designed to release at the natural angle while you're wearing it on your belt...it says so in the directions.
    ...I had two students show up for the range session of a CWP course with Fobus holsters they had just purchased (it was the only option at the local gun shop).

One student was a physically fit young adult male of normal build. The other was a somewhat pudgy, short-waisted 74-year-old male. The former was able to find "the natural angle while you're wearing it on your belt." The latter repeatedly struggled to get the gun out of his holster all day.

Something to think about - what if you're already on the ground before you get a chance to go for your holstered handgun? Will you be able to find the "natural angle"? As with firearms, most users assess their suitability under ideal range conditions, not the worst conditions, under which they may need to be used in an emergency.

The other was a somewhat pudgy, short-waisted 74-year-old male
    i don't think the Israelis allowed for pudgy

if you're already on the ground before you get a chance to go for your holstered handgun?
    if you're already on the ground, i think i would be time to shift priority to something other than drawing your primary handgun

I've had 3 Fobus holsters and 1 mag carrier, all of the paddle variety. I've loved them all. I had to practice a little too to find that optimal draw angle, but once I did I've had no problems. I also have one of the Uncle Mikes kydex paddles. It doesn't hold the gun as snugly against my body as the Fobus ones, and the connection between the paddle & the holster itself seems very loose. The entire holster/gun does this annoying (and rather loud) flopping with only slight movement. The best thing I've found with Fobus was their customer service. I bought one of their fixed-paddle models for an S&W model 60 with 3" bbl and adjustable sights, but the front sight wouldn't clear the holster upon insertion. I called them to see if they had one for the 3" guns like mine. They didn't, but told me to send mine back and they replaced it with the more expensive roto-holster for my wife's Glock 19 no extra charge, plus they covered shipping. Been a fan ever since.
    GO HOGS!

Care to Explain...

if you're already on the ground, i think i would be time to shift priority to something other than drawing your primary handgun
    ...your logic?
    • Many of my students will only be carrying one handgun, despite my advice to the contrary.
    • There are factors other than gunshots that can put you on the ground, including a strong shove or a punch, not that it matters what put you there.
    • I carry three revolvers myself, two on the waist and one in the left, front pants pocket. If I am on the ground, it may well be easier to draw from one of the holsters than to draw from the pocket.

Surely you don't mean to say that if you find yourself on the ground, you're out of the fight, do you?

FOBUS work, but when you try something like G-Code, Sidearmor or a Blackhawk SERPA (I'm sorry, that's spelled "BLACKHAWK!!1!" as per trademark) you'll find a few differences that seem small but make a huge difference.

The SERPA, for instance, comes with or without a nifty button-operated retention system that I really like. It doesn't add any time to my draw, and if you're in the habit of putting your trigger finger straight alongside the frame while the gun is still in the holster, it doesn't require you to change anything. Your finger hits the paddle and out she comes.
    More than that, I prefer the cutout at the mouth of the SERPA. I always had trouble re-holstering smoothly with the FOBUS--it felt like I was hunting for the holster, and that made me really nervous with a loaded gun. With the SERPA, the cut is so wide and low that you can settle pistol into it while pointing down range, then rock forward and you're in. It's a LOT more positive.

The only person I know who's broken one is Brigid of Mausers and Muffins fame. She puts hers through a lot more use than I do. On the ugly side, her failure was pretty catastrophic--the gun was locked into the holster by a broken retention system. On a defensive gun, that's a big problem.
    Don Gwinn: Chicago Gun Rights Examiner

Surely you don't mean to say that if you find yourself on the ground, you're out of the fight, do you?
    you're correct...you're only out of the fight when your pupils dilate

i've found, when i've been unlucky enough to be taken off my feet in a "close enounter", that an ankle holstered gun is usually more accessable...after all, i'm drawing up my legs to fend off the attacker anyway.

my personal plan is that at "poker table" distances (the best graphic is the old Cold Steel ad) a edged weapon is a better choice as it's minimum effective distance is shorter and it isn't as restricted by muzzle orientation

Not everyone thinks Fobus is great. Check this youtube clip.

That's Well and Good...

i've found, when i've been unlucky enough to be taken off my feet in a "close enounter", that an ankle holstered gun is usually more accessable...after all, i'm drawing up my legs to fend off the attacker anyway.
    ...for those who are able to use ankle holsters (and also choose to carry a backup).

Not to repeat myself, I sum up the pros and cons of ankle (and other) holsters on my Holster Selection page. One factor not mentioned there - a few years back LASD was re-evaluating the authorization of ankle holsters for backup guns after a couple were lost during foot pursuits; I have been unable to learn the outcome of that review.
    Last edited by spwenger; November 17th, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added sentence about LASD.

I bought one for a SW 5906. I dunno if there was a revamp in the design of the gun or what but that thing would not even make it's way close to inside that holster.

I like the Comptac. But for OWB I love my Serpa.

were you wearing it at the time?

if you're trying to insert or remove the gun while holding the holster in your hand, you're pulling/pushing at the wrong angle
    I tried it both ways. About castrated myself when I pulled up on the damn thing trying to get the gun out.

I've had other kydex holsters. They all worked. This was far beyond "getting the angle right" (a crazy idea anyway). You could literally not get the gun all the way into the holster. Once you forced it in as far as it would go, it was hell getting it back out again.

That's a great youtube, by the way. That tactic would not work with my current holster, "Mexican carry".

I have a couple of fobus paddle holsters. They work quite well for what they are. But I find that snapping the gun in or out makes it very easy to put it in or take it out of the holster, but it does take some practice to get used to it like anything else. And yes I can draw from a fobus one the ground, even if I am laying on it.