Thread: Does anyone know what on earth this is?

Does anyone know what on earth this is?

Appears to be some sort of prototype SMG from the '60s?
    Sow seed-but let no tyrant reap;
    Find wealth-let no impostor heap;
    Weave robes-let not the idle wear;
    Forge arms-in your defense to bear.

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, Song to the Men of England, 1819

Don't know who made it, but it's what called a bullpup.

I have an AimPoint exactly like it. Beyond that... It is blow-back and fires from an open bolt and is left side ejection as far as I can see.
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

THAT....is somebody playing around with some parts.
    I'll bet a milk-dud that it's a prop from a movie or some such.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Im gonna go out on a limb and say it's either a Sten or Grease Gun based design that's been modified into a Bullpup configuration???

It's a prop from a James Bond movie. It had Roger Moore as Bond, therefore I cannot recall the name as I do not like the Roger Moore movies.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

What I found interesting about this weapon (prop, or whatever) it the inclusion of the rarely seen OEG on top. I would be really interested in trying one of those simply for the sake of history.
    "Circular error probable zero, impact with high order detonation, have a nice day."

OEG?
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

O-Occluded E-Eye G-Gunsight. Sort of the precursor to the red dot optics of today. Nothing to look "through" in the traditional sense. But takes advantage of binocular vision and the ability to look "through" something placed in front of only one eye. Place your thumb in front of your face and look at it with both eyes open. You should be able to see things behind your thumb "through" it.
    http://www.armsonusa.com/armsonoeg.html
    "Circular error probable zero, impact with high order detonation, have a nice day."

Oh, I always called mine and Old AimPoint as that was what it says on it.

I don't have the adapter plate to mount it properly with so I "improvised." Hey, it works...
    Last edited by herohog; December 13th, 2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Included graphic of FrankenField60

Here I thought only Singlepoint in the UK made those. Photos snagged from an auction.

Herohog, what is that rifle? that's a very... interesting configuration. not much for aesthetics, are you?
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    Yes, I am a Pro-Gun Democrat, but with a strong streak of libertarianism.
    Proud native of New Hampshire. Live free or Die!

The sight in the OP is an Armson OEG. I had one on a Mini-14, and it was very fast to acquire the target with it.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey 123
    Herohog, what is that rifle? that's a very... interesting configuration. not much for aesthetics, are you?
    It WAS a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 that I bought at a yard sale for $5.00 with no stock. I made the "stock" using steel plate and a piece of exhaust tubing for the pistol grip. The whole thing I brazed together at the shop. The "folding stock" is steel rod and the pivot is a 5/16 bolt and nuts. The "latch" for the hinge is another 5/15 bolt with a wing-nut on the inverted bolt with the bolt head ground down to retain the wing-nut and still look "good". The retainer is an old body shim that I used because it had the right profile for the wing-nut to work with. I machined the fore-grip mount for the MagLite from aluminum. The AimPoint is from an old shotgun and was given to me by a friend. I have all of $5.00 for the original action and barrel and a can of black Krylon paint not counting the MagLite. It works like a charm and holds 18 rounds to boot! Ugly? Oh yeah! Functional? You bet!

well, if it works for you, then that's all that matters. and it has a certain mad max-ish charm...
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    Yes, I am a Pro-Gun Democrat, but with a strong streak of libertarianism.
    Proud native of New Hampshire. Live free or Die!

So, I have discovered what that strange thing in my OP is. Apparently it's an experimental SMG called the "S&S Sidewinder".

Information on it is thin, but it appears to have been vaguely similar in concept to the Bushmaster armpistol.

My google-fu is strongest, for I have located the patent!

Patent? For that? As far as I can tell, it's just prior art.

Claim 1: It's ugly.

Claim 2: It is difficult to insert a magazine.

Claim 3: The butt stock is extendable just like all the other extendable buttstocks and just like a bumper jack.

I think I'll patent rocks. Or maybe the speed of light. Or maybe concrete. Ooo! Nails! Nails, that's what I'll patent!

:sarcasm:

Sheesh!

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Administrator   
    I'd like to take this oppertunity to say that hotlinking is bad.

Just see post #11 and imagine the images being stolen hotlinked from a site with an evil webmaster. . .

That TV gun is crazy, too.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth