Thread: Pattern 14 Enfield

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri

Pattern 14 Enfield

I have never encountered any final figures on how many P-14 Enfields were produced. I understand the transition to P-17. Has anyone ever seen any figures of total production of the P-14, 303 British chambered rifle?
    I have one in extremely good shape, unaltered except to have the headspace reset, great shooter. Don't see many of them anymore that haven't been sporterized and rechambered/rebarreled.
    Just curious how many were built.

Rumoured to be around 1,233,075 by all makers.

Pattern 14 was the standard .303 British model. The Pattern 14 design was modified to chamber .30-06 and adopted as 'US Rifle, M1917'.

You may be confusing the P14-M1917 relationship with the shorter lived Pattern 13 rifle. This was an early version of the Pattern 14 but chambered in .276 Enfield.

Last edited by DrakeGmbH; December 24th, 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Removed 'P17'

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    No, I have a pattern 14, complete with P14 cartouche on butt stock. I know what I've got and it is a good shooter after I had the barrel reset to correct head space. I was just curious as to how many P14s were built in the '14 to '17 period and the first response answered that. Thanks to all.

DrakeGmbH,

THERE ARE NO P'17s!

There are Pattern '13s and Pattern '14s (later known as the No. 3 series rifles) but there ARE NO P'17s.

There are only collectors too LAZY to write US M1917 or even US Enfield!

NOWHERE in the literature of the people who owned the rifles in question, the US Government, will you EVER find the term P'17!

Buckshot

Buckshot,

My apologies as I appear to have offended you. Thank you for the zealous correction. I posted late in the evening and just went with OP's usage of P17. I suppose it's similar to someone calling an Enfield No2 MkI a 'Webley revolver' (despite the lawsuit).

I suppose I wasn't concise enough when I wrote:

known in the US as 'US Rifle, M1917' was the .30-06 version.