Thread: Remington 597 Hold Open Pin Missing?

Remington 597 Hold Open Pin Missing?

I got a Remington 597, 22LR that appeared to have been fired only a few times. I took it shooting and put about 50 to 100 rounds through it. The bolt stopped locking open on the last round at some point.

I went to clean it and when I separated the Receiver and Housing… parts went flying. I found two of the parts… I looked on the Remington site… Parts #14 & #15 I found. Part #13 was missing.

I called Remington and they are sending me the part. The parts are the hold open, hold open pin and hold open spring. There is nothing in the instructions about these parts. I mentioned it to the Remington guy he didn’t seem too concerned about it.

So… when and if I get it resembled and working… I really like the way the rifle shoots and looks. It is a PITA to dissemble and re-assemble for cleaning… but I have had worse! I prefer to keep this rifle. Any one else had issues with this? Hints please?

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Fil...ls/om_597.ashx
    "WARNING: Securing your firearm may inhibit access to it in a defense situation and result in injury or death."

It's a small part with a pretty weak spring, and easy to knock out of place - but once you're aware of it it shouldn't be much of a problem in the future.

I have 3 Remmy 597s and I really like them. It is a bit of a PITA to get those springs back on the guide rods but after some practice you'll find a technique that works well. Not near as bad as some rifles - try re-assembling a Winchester 190 sometime

A tip - don't overtighten the guide rod screws. The guide rods are supposed to be able to float a little in there and the screws are only there to keep them from backing all the way out. Bottom them out, then back off at least 1/2 turn otherwise you'll likely have some cycling issues.

Hold-Open Spring for the Remington 597

Hello:

How did you get the new part in. There is no diagram, or instructions to assemble the parts.

Thanks,

Ibaraav

I put the part in and the hold open is now working. I have not been out to shoot it yet. I will back the guide rod screws out. Thanks for the info.

In the link I had in my first post about page 16 there is a diagram... however no instructions for that part. I just made it look like the diagram.

I hope to get out to shoot next month. Too much deep snow and now mud at the farm I shoot at.
    "WARNING: Securing your firearm may inhibit access to it in a defense situation and result in injury or death."