Thread: US Navy 5 inch cartridges

US Navy 5 inch cartridges

My dad has two US Navy 5 inch cartridges that he has been holding on to. His plans for them is to get wooden bullets to put in them for display. Some Naval installations use these as supports for chains at entrances. I am looking for a place that sells these wooden inserts, or images of what they look like so that I can get them made myself. All I know is that the cartridges came off a destroyer. Any help would be appreciated.

I my area that would be a high school shop project. Buy the boys/girls sufficient material to work with and you wind up with 2 projectiles. Check with your local HS shop teacher.

Projectiles for a 5" shell aren't commonly sold. Made by hobbyists on a wood lathe. Probably want a close grained wood too.

- close grained wood
    and
    - check with a high school wood shop

I still need a template; some kind of picture where I can find the size and curvature of the appropriate bullet.

Having one of these myself ( I fired it at a Iraqi tank position) there are several different designs for the projo. Some are squat and rounded like a 45 fmj, others are more like a rifle round tall and pointed. Hope this helps.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Cool, I talked to my dad, he is going to sketch what he wants the bullet to look like.

Thank you all for all of your help.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Ah yes, remember it well, 5" diameter, 1'3" long with a 3 pound charge. Had one get stuck in the bore. Lowered the barrel as far as it would go and inserted cleaning rod one section at a time to drive the projectile out of the barrel.

A Gunners mate seaman striker took the projectile cradling it carefully in his arms. The crew not involved directly were directed to the port side of the ship, our seaman carried it down the starboard side of the ship to the fantail where it was dumped unceremoniously into the wake of the ship. Less than 10 seconds later it detonated. He got a commendation for what he did and 2 weeks later was busted for........well never mind that but he had trouble staying in his own pay grade. Lets just say sometimes the bravest among us aren't always model citizens.

Same mount had other problems too, including nearly hitting the observation shack on top of the mountain of the island we were practicing our bombardment on. That one wasn't the gun or gun crews fault it was the old coffee grinder computer we had. Made some amazing shots with that gun but had some amazing blunders too.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Nice story Old Grump, thanks!
    Mark Lawrence

Ever do something really lame-brained like not proof reading you screen name? Nope me neither.

Old Grump, we have worse problems with the new computers.

We were doing a cert and there was a greenpeace boat nearby protesting, I just took my turn as safety observer on the bridge wing and was watching the splashes and gun train/elevation.

Anyway the gun started to traverse and elevate, while firing. Aegis had dropped the fake target and picked up the protesters.

I yelled into the headset cease fire, ceasefire, cease fire, everbody is like why we have good track.

The protesters saw the splashes getting closer and closer they decide that it is better to be somewhere else.

They filed a complaint, with the Navy and during the investigation we were able to show where Aegis/Spy had dropped the fake target and locked the protesters.
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Are you sure it was a malfunction? Okay, I apologize, shame on me.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

mostly in the State of Confuision. Alabama
    Old Grump sounds like you were on the CHARLES F. ADAMS. That tincan had more problems than you could imagine. Think we had better luck hitting target with a slingshot. And your giving your age away with the coffee grinder computer system. Saw that setup on a quad 3" 55 didn't even want to be within 30 miles of it.

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    MK 37 Fire Control computer. Wind it up and let it run and hope it runs long enough to give you a target solution. Director mounted on signal bridge and had 2 men riding in it. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Lots of old dinosaurs crawling out of the woodwork. Ah yes the Charles Adams DDG2, nope my first ship still had depth charges and hedgehogs on it. My second ship was new like yours was, well new back then and had a Terrier missile system that was more dangerous to us than it was the enemy. If I remember right you were probably Tartar. Cute little missiles.

My next two ships were the last to fire 8" guns in battle and then there was that nuke ship which shall remain nameless because it makes me want to swear and spit.

The first time I saw a 5"/54 it looked strange to me till it finally dawned on me the mount only had one barrel. We had ASROC which impressed me, a sonar crew that followed a whale for several days that didn't impress me, and a Mark 6 torpedo that impressed the admiral when we accidentally hit his flag ship. Those carrier sailors sure can get testy about an oops moment.

Grump; remember "Weapon Alpha"? and yes I was around to rearm the hedge hogs and K-Guns. I was a Hole Snipe but "All Hands" evolutions took precedence. And black oil running down the deck and over the side because the Oil King was careless or just getting even with the Deck Apes and the whole world changed with the advent of Square Barrel GMs.

Old Grump I will not go into details or the when and where's, but during one operation where old B25s flew over target areas and dropped drones for live missile fire a minor incident happened. Pilot radioed "DRONE AWAY" made his banking turn to get out of area, missile fired, well long story short scratch one B25. No sense of humor anywhere that day. And for some reason I seem to remember the whale tracking. Glad we didn't go hot in the Caribbean most likely we would have shot ourselves in the foot.

Grump; remember "Weapon Alpha"? And black oil running down the deck and over the side because the Oil King was careless.
    Saw ships with Weapon Able later called Alpha but never played with one.

Emergency breakaway while refueling because the tanker had a problem and almost veered into us, (gyroscope failure), was the only time we had black oil on the weather deck. However I did have a seabag ruined with all my spare whites and dress shoes and uniform because somebody forgot to screw down the cover when he took his readings before refueling. 7" of black oil in the living space. good thing was there was no exit from that space except the ladder so the oil couldn't spread, the bad thing is 7" of oil in our compartment. Only a couple of lucky people didn't lose anything, only half a dozen people got reimbursed for their losses, the rest of us are still waiting. A lot of people spent a few nights in their working space to sleep and we had to borrow showers in the gunners mates compartment.

Pilot radioed "DRONE AWAY" made his banking turn to get out of area, missile fired, well long story short scratch one B25. No sense of humor anywhere that day. And for some reason I seem to remember the whale tracking. Glad we didn't go hot in the Caribbean most likely we would have shot ourselves in the foot.
    Knocked a drone out of the air and did skin to skin with another with the 5"/54. Air Force has no sense of humor either. 3"/50 was shooting at a towed target, first shot clipped the cable, target folded up, we lost contact, immediately locked on again and second shot was on its way before we realized it was the tow plane. Not like we knocked it down but a slight nick in the elevator and a hole in the rudder sure became a big deal, it still flew so what was the fuss? You wouldn't believe how long it took the chief, weapons officers and the old man to fill out all the paperwork or how many civilian and military technicians we had crawling through our radar and the gun mount trying to prove it was our fault. I think they should have stronger tow cables.

Up in the North Atlantic on a firing exercise the ship behind us, DD or DE I don't remember anymore. Fired, the shell blew less than 50' from the muzzle. Turned out they had a whole rack full of shells with bad fuses. Before we left on that exercise we had stopped in New York to get armed and they gave all of us the old stuff they wanted shot up and out of inventory. Nobody hurt but the poor DC men were out there in heavy seas patching holes and repairing shrapnel damage.the rest of the day.

That same exercise we lost 3 missiles in a row because the tail fins fell off at launch. They wanted to hang us but it was proven the locking rings on the old missiles and fins were defective. Those were the last BW-1 Terriers ever launched, they got junked and we rearmed with the BT's. Those missiles were why I said they were a bigger danger to us than they were the enemy. They were supposed to self destruct if they left the guidance beam of the radar. They didn't. They fly all over the place with a fin or two missing. All I know is on my screen they were there, than they weren't there. Than a lot of people started swearing over the sound powered phones. Swearing is strictly against protocol. Some days I don't miss it, some days were good.

we did a test launch of a sm3 block 4 in 2003, most of combat systems not involved was observing from the side or the bridge.

The missile went up did some spirals and CAME back.

We are runnining to the opposite side, everybody else is like, is this normal, and where did the GM's and FC's go and we are readying life rafts.

It detonated 150 feet from the starboard side. The fireball blistered some paint, no injuries.

We were amazed though at how many people stood there looking at an incoming missile and did nothing.

At least you and your crew didn't almost start a war with Great Britain did you. During our weekly training for grave side duty we were in a nice cool section next to the harbor entrance with a beautiful view, when in comes a British man 0 war will decks lined with ships company manning the rails. As soon as the Frigate cleared the break water she rolled one of her gun mounts and fired a seven gun salute to the COMMANDER CARIBBEAN FORCES Admiral as a tribute and salute to his command. Well we were standing there going through all the movements and firing party for military funeral service with our M1Grands. Don't remember who said it first but it became apparent that we had to defend our naval station against a British Man-O-War that was coming into port with guns blazing. Any way all of a sudden two rows of E3 and E4's (that were about to loose a stripe) began returning fire. Never once did anyone thing the shots could be heard or even seen Well they were Guess that's why it took me 4 yrs to make E4 and discovered that Velcro was invented for the US Navy to make changing rating patch easy. Still after 45 yrs I think it was the right thing to do defend Our beaches <G>

With all the stupid things I have heard, seen and done ( yeah I will I admit to doing some really dumb stuff) I find several miracles.

1 Somehow the ships stay afloat
    2 Wars are somehow averted on a daily basis
    3 I am still alive

thomaspalmer, you started a neat thread, you have been officially hijacked. Sorry bout that but its been fun.

Mk-64 5" naval projectile
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ons/mk64-5.htm

Unclass document with drawings, in the table of contents scroll till you see Section 2 and scroll till you get to the 5" shell list and click on them to get basic measurements. The drawings above this section are not much.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/projcat/index.htm
    "More handguns in the District of Columbia will only lead to more handgun violence." Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty.
    YES! But now it's citizens SHOOTING BACK!
    --mrmeval

"...fired it at a Iraqi tank position..." Out of what? Just curious.

USS Donald Cook DDG 75 MK45 mod 2

U.S.S. Walke DD-723; U.S.S. Vammen DE-644; U.S.S. Whitehurst DE-634