Thread: Winchester 1873 Blueprints

Winchester 1873 Blueprints

does anyone know where i can find factory, or atleast really good backwards engineered blueprints of the winchester 1873 lever action rifle?.... or even the 1866 yellow boy lever action, or 1897 shotgun?

some computer whizzkid will help you out !!!!!!!!!!! soon

They don't exist in the public realm.

US military weapons are publicly owned and eventually they get into the public domain.
    You can get blueprints for guns like the 1911, M1, M1 Carbine, M-16, etc.

However, rifles like the 1873 were privately owned by Winchester and they never released actual blueprints to the public.
    There are drawings out there showing the internal design, but actual blueprints or production plans are not available.

are these still copywrited? or is winchester just not releasing them because they dont have to and dont feel like it?... is it then safe to assume the various replicas are backwards engineered, and made possible because the copywrite expired on the 1873 design?.. if this is so, would anyone be interested in helping me backwards engineer an origional if anyone has one?

if i cant find these 1873 blueprints, theres a good chance i will make the remington rolling block rifle instead... its a very, very simple design, i could probably even fabricate it without the use of casting parts... a metal cutting bandsaw and a drill press would get me really close to the specified shape and inlettng, and a grinder to finish up after using patterns to guide me... same goes with machine the few internal pieces as well... take these to a local shop to have heat treated, rust blue them myself.. the hard part is deciding on which caliber to use as the rolling block will handle almost anything made then and now

The documents you are looking for are Intellectual Property. They belong to Winchester and it would be illegal for you to possess them and use the information contained on them without Winchester's approval. Patents have a shelf life but not so with technical drawings. There is also some wiggle room with Registered Trademarks which are abandoned.

Bruce

so then the replicas are most likely backwards engineered

Bacjwards engineered and not guaranteed to be identical to the original. Rossi's Puma is a 92 Winchester copy and I have used an original load gate to repair one, but it took some trimming to make it fit. Of course, guns back then were all pretty much hand fitted and replacement parts normally made oversize and expected to be fitted to the gun.

Taurus Thunderbolts are close to the original Lightnings I've read. But not identical. Many will change leaf springs for coils and things like that to make production easier.

hmm, well... if anyones willing to assist in the backwards engineering of one, that would be great... ive actually considered designing my own.. i have all the software needed to do it, and run simulations on pressures, simulations, wear, etc but i would have to follow design features of a variety of models to do it in any reasonable amount of time

id just prefer an 1873 lever as a companion to an 1875 remington revolver, both in 44-40

I know this is an old string but thought I would reply anyways. I think if you could get in touch with Spencer Rifle Company and Bob there might be able to hook you up with an original 1873 Manchester. I am currently in the process of reverse engineering the 1873 Manchester and all internals.

...guns back then were all pretty much hand fitted...
    Not only that, but workers on the assembly line of mil spec "interchangeable parts" guns like the 1911 pistol found that assembly or function would be eased by taking the sharp edge of a surface here or there. But these were not in the blueprint.

The original Thompson guns were made by Colt for AutoOrdnance in 1919-1920. Then for WWII, Auto Ordnance had guns made at Savage. Then AutoOrdnance started its own production line to keep up with military demands. Although Savage and AutoOrdnance production were mil spec with interchangeable parts backward compatible to the Colt without hand fitting, the AutoOrdnance Bridgeport upper receiver and lower trigger frame were fitted so that they would not rattle when shaken as a matter of pride. That took some skill on the part of the assembly line workers that would not show up in a blueprint.

The first production of Marlin rifles at the Remington factory no doubt followed the blueprints, but without Marlin's production people, and the intenet is abuzz with how that turned out.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

The American Gun tv show scratch built an 1866 for a guy who had to have Made in USA.
    Cost him $20,000 to get on tv.

The shop owner said it was easy to procure drawings.

What is an 1873 Manchester?
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me more clearly

happy wheels

Buying Exchange On the web with Office 365 will empower the program to utilize the numerous choices of Microsoft Link and SharePoint. With the few decisions that Microsoft offers, Office365GCC chairmen can pick the various kinds of sending that suit their necessities.

These associations soak the market. One reason for the quantity of associations is the assortment of creation organizes, every one of which has its own construction. Computerisation has lead to signs hamilton numerous administrators being made jobless.

Thanks

There are likewise short courses which assist representatives with acquiring accreditations in the business they devoirat have picked. This makes a similarly enormous market for creators of proceeding with education course material.

Appreciation

Virtual confidential server web facilitating, or VPS facilitating, is an arising sort of bundle presented by a Offshore vps significant number web facilitating suppliers. As its name propose, it is a not a genuine machine devoted to you, however is rather a virtual machine.