Thread: Computer Mess~~~

Exclamation Computer Mess~~~

Folks,

I am on my husband's computer right now.

I got a really, really bad VIRUS and ? attack on mine. Nothing like I have ever had before on my computer that I could not fix. My husband needed to crash so he can't work anymore on this. I have no clue where, how or why so I will not be able to check any PMs. I closed off my box to that.

I was on some real estate sites, my usual forums, TCM website and a moving/storage website tonight on my laptop.

Anyway, if you don't see me that is why I am not online.

Thanks and take care.

Catherine
    Closed Account

Catherine,

Be sure to carry a good antivirus and or firewall. Best thing to do is install a good antivirus if you do not have one.

AVG is a good free one. Available at www.downloads.com (free and legal site, very reputable). Boot into safe mode in Windows (selected by hitting either F5 or F8 as the computer boots up cannot remember which one). Then run your antivirus.

Safe mode in Windows loads the minimum number of files necessary to run Windows. This allows the computer to scan almost everything on the harddrive and with any luck, the virus will not be running at the time. Generally, if a file is being used while a scan is conducted, the file may not be scanned. Good luck.

A year ago I picked up a nasty virus. It wiped out something in the boot sector or in the root of Windows XP. After that, the computer simply would not boot, and NOTHING brought it back. I finally had to reformat the hard drive and start over from scratch.

Catherine -

Good advice so far... If you cannot boot up from this drive and have data you need to retrieve, try the following:

- pull the drive from the infected computer
    - go to best buy or another electronics store (Radio Shack?) and purchase an EXTERNAL USB enclosure that is compatible with the infected drive (SATA, IDE..etc)
    - install the infected drive into the enclosure
    - connect the external drive to a computer that has anti-virus software with the latest virus definitions running
    - run a scan agains the external drive

DO NOT EXECUTE ANYTHING ON THE EXTERNAL DRIVE while connected to the clean computer. Re-install the drive into the old computer once clean. You may only be able to get your data off the infected drive.
    "With great power, there must also come great responsibility." - Stan Lee

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Microsoft Security Essentials is actually a very good antivirus, and I think it's free if you're running XP, Vista, or 7.

(I just barely know what I'm talking about here; maybe someone can elaborate) If your computer will boot from USB, you might can install Puppy Linux on a memory stick (thumb drive or camera memory card) and boot from that; you can use it to copy your data files off the hard drive before you wipe it and reinstall. You might can even scan it from Linux and repair the damage, I dunno. That way you don't have to open up the case or buy anything, just need access to another computer to set it up.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

Folks,

Thank you for the information.

He worked on it. He wants to do something else to it too.

I had all of the 'protection' on it plus the firewall things.

I keep all of my computer updates up to date plus I always have protection on my computer.

I can't explain it all but this was NOTHING like I have ever, ever had before. I could NOT fix it on my own. I am not a computer whiz - I know the basics.

I had 4 Trojan viruses (Different names.) plus something else wrong with it too... too long to type now.

I need the computer for my real estate searches, not a business, but for personal use. I get the NEWS from all over the nation and world, I do the the RE searches, I hardly do any email, I do some research and my forums are last. I am cutting back on my forums too.

I pick up the telephone (Land line.) more than I send email. Long distance and local - I have a good deal on that. I got really, really FED UP with people who do NOT use BCC, send forwards, attachments and other crap even though I have told them NOT to do that to you for 10 years or more. So I am careful there too. They don't get the email address anymore. If they can't honor your personal email - how can you trust them with jack squat? You can't! Sometimes, I think that they are 'dense' because they tell you that they will not send you that dung and keep your private email address 'private' and they do not. These are people who should know better but they still do not do the right thing. It is like talking to a freaking brick wall. So I dumped a bunch of our personal emails here too. I am still working on this too.

I do not open things and email from people that I do not know. I don't do attachments from jerks who have NO clue on email problems. The thing is this crap can spread if YOU are in their email address book too.

Thanks again.

Frustrated and fed up with computers Catherine.

Last edited by Catherine; February 21st, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added more.
    Closed Account

My husband finished fixing and saving my computer.

Woo hoo!

He did a good job in shooting at the range today too!

Catherine

I've cleaned up a few infections lately that seem to be coming from infected ads or an ad server maybe. Those stupid anti virus malware things.

One of the best things you can on XP (any computer really) is make sure your not running as local admin or with admin privilages for your everyday stuff. In XP, this is the default, admin user with no password. Not very secure at all. Make sure your admin accounts have good passwords and create a basic user account for yourself. It's really easy to change users or do a run as to install programs or make system changes. Then, you greatly minimize the chance of getting something bad back on there. And of course, firewalls and anti virus/malware SW.

My users always complain about me locking them down so much but I get great system uptime out of the deal. The only ones I ever have infected in my corp networks are the execs (and other cry babies) who insist they need admin rights. They get re-installs all the time because they mess their computers all up.
    I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. - General Jack D. Ripper

Someone mentioned Microsoft Security Essentials. It IS free, and it's good enough that Steve Gibson (Gibson Research, SpinRite, grc.com, and the guy on Security Now podcast at twit.tv) recommends it.
    What Would Stephen Maturin Do?

If you have installed XP in your PC then you have to make account with your password for security purpose.Otherwise you have to keep updating anti-virus of quick heal so it will be protection of your computer.
    Nothing is permanent but change.