Thread: Gun from Afghanistan

Gun from Afghanistan

I got a couple of guns from my FIL when he passed away and I was wondering if anyone can help. One is a S&W 32 LONG CTG Ser # 15280, 6" but the interesting one I have been told is from Afghanistan. It is in pretty bad shape with a lot of rust and no serial number that I can find. Any suggestions or help with caliber or how to make it functional would be helpful.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've only read of hand guns ( Kyber guns) being made on old Martini receivers. In this case it looks as if every thing was hand made using a Martini as a guide. The ones I read about was , believe or not, was chambered in 303 British. A chamber cast is the only way to dertermine the caliber. Soaking the whole thing in Kroil would clean it up, but funtional, tie it to a tree with a 50 cord tied to the trigger while you hide behind sandbags.

The Khyber Pass region of Afghanistan is notorious for their villages devoted solely to manufacture firearms -- by hand, with a hammer and hunks of steel. If you get a gun from there, it would be wise to clean it up, put it in a nice display box and a glass cover and do not try to shoot it. Each village is capable of making anything from a simple single shot sidearm with a unique caliber to a fully functioning AK and almost everything in between, making most of the guns unique when it comes to serviceability. Neat curio, however.
    The uneducated and the misinformed are easily led astray. -- John Mellencamp

I remember when Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms was a shopping list and not a government agency.

Some are very poor construction, others are well, very good. I have seen an AK made out a truck's flat springs that would would put the Russian producers to shame.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

kcordon:
    I can't help you with the Kyber pass gun. The S&W is quite old and depending on the model, may hold some value. It is one of two models.

The .32 Hand Ejector 1st Model (Model of 1896) was produced between 1896 and 1903 in the serial number range 1 to 19712. This was the first swing out cylinder gun, and is identified by the fact that there is no cylinder release on the side of the frame, no locking lug on the barrel at the end of the ejector rod and the rear sight is mounted forward on the topstrap instead of at the hammer. In 2006 the Standard Catalog of S&W gave the following values: ANIB $1800, Excellent plus $1200, Excellent $800, Fine $600, Very good $375, Good $325, Fair $275 & Poor $135.

The .32 Hand Ejector 2nd Model (Model of 1903) was produced between 1903 and 1904 in the serial range 1 to 19425. This model has a locking lug under the barrel, a cylinder release on the left side of the frame and the sight is rear mounted. 2006 values were: ANIB $700, Excellent Plus $385, Very Good $315, Good $275, Fair $165, Poor $90. If fitted with a factory adjustable rear sight multiply the above prices by five.
    If you're 6'4" 360, with the scraggly beard wearing a kilt, I think you can leave the guns at home. Just throw on your tartan, grab the nearest sledgehammer, and chase the bad guy down on foot while yelling "REMEMBER WILLIAM WALLACE!!!" If he stops before he hits the state line, splatter him - MGshaggy

S&W

Here are some pics of the S&W that I got. Any info on this would be great. My wife says this is hers now but I am not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

kcordon:
    From personal experience, what's yours is hers and whats hers is hers. So:

Your wife has a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 manufactured between 1903 & 1904. Based on external condition and assuming no mechanical problems it's probably in very good to excellent condition. It lacks the adjustable rear sight so it's not a target model.

Per the SCSW the value is probably between $315 & $385 in the collector market, but there isn't a huge demand for .32 long firearms among shooters, so if in the future you need to sell it I'd suggest www.smith-wessonforum.com where the collectors hang out.

.32 S&W Long is not a particularly powerful round, but it has a fine reputation for accuracy. You can also shoot .32 S&W (sometimes refered to as .32 S&W short) through your wifes gun. As it predates the introduction of heat treated cylinders by a good 15 years I would recommend against handloading to higher velocities. Stick to factory or factory equivalent handloads.
    If you're 6'4" 360, with the scraggly beard wearing a kilt, I think you can leave the guns at home. Just throw on your tartan, grab the nearest sledgehammer, and chase the bad guy down on foot while yelling "REMEMBER WILLIAM WALLACE!!!" If he stops before he hits the state line, splatter him - MGshaggy

Bolt Action AK's in .303 SAA Ball:

From: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...is-mystery-gun
    Last edited by Famaldehide Face; March 31st, 2010 at 05:31 AM.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I think that Afgan gun is a :دست شما خواهد دميد تمام راه به آرنج I can't pronounce it but it translates to: Will blow your hand off all the way to the elbow.

I want one. you have to admit thats nice

That bolt action is from a ZKK-600 or maybe a ZKK-601. Quite clever actually.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.