Thread: IPSC Power Factor vs. Taylor Knock Out Factor

IPSC Power Factor vs. Taylor Knock Out Factor

I recently posted a listing of various caliber on the TKO scale.
    http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=416665

I thought I would compare ranking on the TKO with ranking on the IPSC Power scale. The major difference is that the TKO scale takes into account bullet diameter and the IPSC scale does not. Also in the IPSC Scale as of 2008, a value of 165 or greater is considered major, while values below 165 are minor. IDPA uses the same scale but they do not differentiate between major and minor caliber.

The comparisons are similar with the ranking slightly different, but close.

Attachment 89767
    Attachment 89768

P.S. the 25 acp is even lower this time
    Last edited by mesinge2; October 8th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".
    - Stephen Decatur Miller (May 8, 1787 March 8, 1838)

In the IPSC scale the 40 and 10mm and a few others moved up in power.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".
    - Stephen Decatur Miller (May 8, 1787 March 8, 1838)

the 40 and 10mm and a few others moved up in power.
    In actuality, all calibers stay exactly the same, even if their rankings (and the numbers produced by the particular calculation) change as a result of which formula you use.

The difference in the rankings of those cartridges produced by the two scales prompts the question: well, which scale better reflects the calibers' "true worth" (however we choose to define that)? I think we have no reference point, other than our thumbnails, to decide if either scale has a lot of vailidity--let alone decide which one is "right." The fact that neither scale takes into account projectile type is enough for me to suspect that neither would be a great predictor (by itself) of a round's effectiveness in self-defense scenarios.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    The difference in the rankings of those cartridges produced by the two scales prompts the question: well, which scale better reflects the calibers' "true worth"
    Exactly, are you paper punching at 50', 1000 yards, shooting Elk, steel silhouettes or boogieman breaking down your door at dark thirty in the morning. IPSC to me is only important on the range and TKO more relevant, (within limits), to real world scenario. I might be wrong, I often am but that's the way I feel about it.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

IPSC Power Factor is a measure of bullet momentum which is directly related to recoil.
    It is used to ensure that everybody is dealing with about the same amount of recoil and nobody is running fast with a peashooter.

TKO if you have read Taylor's work, is a measure of how long an elephant, hit in the head but missing the brain, may be expected to be stunned, allowing a followup shot. He made no claims for any other application. He tabulated TKO values for small calibres only to show how ineffective they would be for elephant hunting. Maybe W.D.M Bell never missed the brain with his amallbores, huh?
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Neither has real world application except to compare one bullet to another. I can go major with a LRN bullet and look good on paper but another bullet shape, weight and density may have more effect against a living target at a lower power factor than the first bullet. I can't take any of them seriously so my rule of thumb is bigger is better.

What can I say I am a dinosaur and face to face, at 50' or less in heavy brush with an irate moose I'll take my slow moving freight train of a .348 over my brothers 7MM Rem Mag even if his numbers do look better. Actually never shot anything except deer with it but never had to shoot twice.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING