Thread: History of a CZ 242

History of a CZ 242

I have recently purchased an old CZ rifle that I can not find any information on. It's a .22LR, single shot, bolt action rifle. It is blued with a wood stock. The stock has finger grooves and a round knob grip with fine checkering. The stock is marked underneath and behind the grip with 40132 then about two inches down an inverted 50. The receiver is marked with the CZ logo and 242. The side is marked ceska zbrojovka a.s v praze. There appears to be a Lion over an N next to the serial number (1588.41.). It has a leaf rear sight graduated from 50 to 200. On the left rear side, at the wood line, it looks to have been factory tapped for a scope mount with 4 screws still in place. The bolt is polished bright with a turned down knob. The blued steel butt plate is smooth with the CZ logo. The rifle is in great shape and appears original and unmessed with. Any information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rouse; May 3rd, 2010 at 12:31 AM.

Administrator   
    Which CZ logo, there were a few used, and CZ is not copyrightable in the CZech Republic, could be from a few manufacturers. Pictures?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Administrator   
    This is what I got from CZ-USA.
    CZ Strakonice. Design and production after WWII.
    Apparently there isn't much info out. Looks like it's in great shape!

Thanks for your reply.
    I previously contacted CZ-USA and their response was, "I have no information on the model 242, as it was not produced in our UB factory."
    Their reply to you is interesting, considering their first response and that the markings indicate the rifle was made in Praze (Prague) not Strakonice. Unless I am wrong, the only info regarding a date is the side marking "ceska zbrojovka a.s v praze". From what I understand, this marking was used on firearms made at this factory before and during WW2, most notably the CZ 27. One source mentions the use of this particular wording ending before 1950 when the factory was renamed. Could the CZ 242 be a pre or post war military trainer?
    Please correct me if I am wrong. I would really like to know the history of this rifle.
    Last edited by Rouse; May 3rd, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

I would say that it is a post WWII model possibly made in 1950. The Lion over the N is the Czech proof mark. I don't have my Czech proof marks available but believe it is post. My pre WWII Czech 98 actions are marked with the BRNO and address. I'll inquire over at the CZ section of RimfireCentral for you.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=18

Very nice rifle!

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Administrator   
    Do remember there were no private arms factories during these times, and the markings were not quite uniform fue to factories being tasked with different duties at different times under Communist rule. I think you have a fatastic little rifle - how does she shoot?

She's a tack driver! Please keep me posted if anyone has more info on this rifle. Thanks!

brnomann on rimfirecentral posted: "The Cz single shot models 242-272 resemble Brno Model 468 rifles, but this series was designed and developed by Ceska Zbrojovka A.S Praha owned by Janecka ( JAWA) company before WWII. This company was affiliated with CZ Strakonice and CZ Uhersku Brod before WWI, but after WWII, I guess 1948 when communists consolidated firearms industry in Czechoslovakia, Praha firearms division was closed and production moved to Zbrojovka Brno and CZ Uhersky Brod."

I'm still curious as to when this rifle was made and if it is a military trainer.
    Thanks to all so far for all the feedback!

If it were a military trainer it would have a military stock and military sights to match the Mauser it was training for. Lots of those out there.

You have a nice little European sporter. I have a similar Walther, about which there is no more background material available. But it is cute and it shoots well.

I doubt there is a lot more history available on it, even though you would like to know that Igor Goldanski assembled it on March 29th, 1949.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Rouse,

More from brnomann,

One way to look for year of manufacturing is on left side of the receiver usualy are two digit number stamped (for example "46" = manufacturing year 1946. I do believe that rifle stamped Ceska Zbrojovka A.S Praha is pre WWI vintage. This models were not imported into this hemisphere.. and they are scarce..I know shortly after WWI prague production stopped. The models 242-272 were originaly developed as "garden gun" for shooting rodents and birds, but were quickly adapted by Czechoslovakian military as training rifles. Zbrojovka Brno ( Brno Arms) after consolidation late 40's adapted this CZ model , slightly redesigned into Model 468 and under their name Brno Arms this model was made in large quantities for military training only and exported to several countries aroung the world.
    I hope that this helps.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Any idea of value?

None given.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Cz 244

I have a CZ 244 that my grandfather bought while in Czech during WWII. I grew up squirrel hunting with this gun. Great shooter. Very accurate. But, I can't find any info on the web regarding this gun. I'm assuming a 1920's gun... scarce. Any info available for this gun?

CZ244_2.jpgCZ244_CLOSE.jpgCZ244_PRAZE.jpgCZ244_RECEIVER.jpg
    Last edited by crackedspoke; August 5th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

It has to be either pre-WWII (my guess due to the attention to detail in the engraving and old logo) or post Cold War. It is definitely not Cold War or it would be engraved "Czechoslovenska Zbrojovka".
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

My grandfather shipped the gun (or brought it home on his person) in 1944/1945. So I'm thinking that it is pre-WWII also. Any way to get a more precise date? Either way, it's a great gun and tons of fun to shoot.