Thread: What is this rifle?

What is this rifle?

Just acquired an old bolt action rifle from a relative. It is in pretty sad shape.
    It has cal 7.35 stamped on rear sight and 1939 XVII and what looks like a crown stamped on barrel just ahead of receiver.The rest is still covered with rust.

The only 7.35mm rifle I have ever heard of is the Model 1938 Italian Mannlicher-Carcano.
    Yours built in 1939, the 17th year since Mussolini and the Fascists took over.

The Italians wanted a more powerful infantry rifle than the 6.5, probably based on their experience shooting at Ethiopians, so they simply necked that cartridge up to take a bigger bullet. But the changeover was not complete by the time their friends the Germans had got them into WW II, so they stayed with the 6.5. Some 1938s were converted to 6.5, some were sold off (to the Finns, who had their own troubles) and some were converted to 8mm for German ammo. No doubt some were used where 7.35 ammo was available. Some were just warehoused and sold surplus to gullible Americans in the 1950s.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Thanks.After a lot of sanding, a coat of dull black paint and this one will go on the wall

If i were you, i wouldn't restore it at all. It kills the historical coolness the gun had, IMHO.

Interesting rifle! It will look better on the wall if you just wire brush most of the rust off and oil it. You want it to look like an antique; the paint would just make it look fake. Don't use sandpaper, it will be a scratched up mess.

This one had already been "sportized" ,used scotchbrite & lots of krol .

This gullible American has ammo for his 7.35---what do you want for $11

[IMG][/IMG]