Thread: Erfurt Luger questions

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri

Erfurt Luger questions

Made in 1912, s/n 9XXX, 6" barrel, 30 Luger chambering.
    Over the makers name(Erfurt) is a Crown, does this signify a "Royal Erfurt"?
    Were all the 6", 30 Lugers Navy models?
    On the left side forward of the trigger is stamped"Made in Germany", font for this stamp does not match other lettering/markings. What significance is this difference in font?
    Finish is machine finish, not polished, would this also indicate military?
    Front sight base is machined as part of the barrel w/dovetail for sight, on the ramp just above the muzzle is stamped a tiny"N", possibly this also signifies "Navy"?
    Lots of questions I know, but I don't know nuttin!!
    Thanks.
    (I can't do pics)

I don't know much, but here is a bunch of them to look at.

I don't see any in .30 Luger though.

https://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php...290a1181cf8e57

I believe the "Made in Germany" in different font marking would be because it was an import/export gun at some point.

rc
    I think I'm suffering from Electile Dysfunction.
    I can't get aroused over either candidate this year.

The Crown over ERFURT represents the Erfurt Arsenal. I believe early navy Lugers were marked with an "M".

The German Navy was the first customer for the 9mm in 1904. I don't know that they ever had any .30s at all.

Does your gun have the two-position Navy rear sight? Does the barrel have the gun's serial number or at least the last two digits?

The Made in Germany mark was required for importation into the USA beginning around 1903.

Erfurt was the royal arsenal building military Lugers 1910-1918. I don't think they made any commercial guns. They are known for a rougher finish than DWM guns.

I think you have a post WW-I rebuild with a .30 barrel on a Erfurt action.

Caveat: My books are gone and I am posting from memory.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    All numbers match, the last 2 digits of the 4 digit s/n are on every part including the grips but excluding the magazine. The rear sight is two position. I did find that Williams blue book in a brief description states that there were approx. 10,000 Erfurt Lugers w/6" and in 30 Luger built for the navy. I learned a long time ago to discount a lot of what was published in "Blue Book".
    Thats why I'm asking these questions.
    Thanks and please keep the info coming.
    Oh, the magazine will not accept a 9X19 and it will not chamber properly, 30 Luger will do both, bore is .308+/_,
    nominally!!!

"...beginning around 1903..." That early? And here I thought that was a '68 GCA thing. Not disputing it though. Just a bit surprised.
    "..."The Blue Book"..." Average prices from all over the U.S. with no regard for local supply and demand.