Thread: Belt Holster for range use, inexpensive

Belt Holster for range use, inexpensive

I think the title pretty well sums it up. I'm looking for an inexpensive holster for doing range drills. Firearm is a Sig P226 Classic (no rail), I'll need some mag holders too.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Jon

Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster belt and holster.

Reholstering can be difficult W/ Uncle Mike's. Is there a reason for not using the holster you normally use?
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I'm a fan of leather holsters overall, but for lots of range practice/drills I think it's hard to beat kydex.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Treo - I don't have a holster I normally use

This gun (actually both of my pistols) was normally used just for range plinking but now that I'm getting more into pistol shooting, I would like to take my "training" to the next level: actually training.

I don't have a lot of money right now, but I figured I could take a couple boxes of ammo worth of money and get a holster setup so I can actually practice more than lining up the sights and squeezing the trigger.

Travis Bickle - I'll checkout the Uncle Mike's.
    Jon

You might consider Blade Tech or Fist holsters. Fobus holsters are inexpensive and sturdy, too.
    I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. Barry Goldwater

Resist Obamunism.

I think I would like the Fobus. Any comments regarding them. This is the one I am considering: link

Kinda want to stay away from a nylon holster, they don't seem to be the best choice for reholstering drills.

ETA: Anyone with any experience with Blade-tech can you comment on the difference between their Tek-lok belt system and their Stingray Loop system?
    Jon

I have no experience with the Fobus. I do have experience with Blade Tech's Tek Lok belt attachment device on their belt holster. Imagine a match book. Think that the point where the matchbook cover folds over is a hinge. You pinch two little tabs at the same time to release the Lok and be able to open on the hinge. Now that it's open, slip one side, like one part of the match cover, behind the belt and snap it shut. The match book now surrounds the belt. The Tek Lok is also adjustable for belt width.
    I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. Barry Goldwater

Resist Obamunism.

Thanks Longing4America, that makes sense.
    Jon

Kinda want to stay away from a nylon holster, they don't seem to be the best choice for reholstering drills.
    That's good thinking.

Another bit of advice, while it's good to practice a speedy and smooth draw and presentation, there is no such thing as speed holstering so don't practice/train that. Re-holstering a firearm should always be a slow and deliberate action that you observe with your EYES and do with care so you don't shoot yourself in the leg.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Thanks for the advice ZeSpectre, I will take that to heart.
    Jon

I would re-phrase this question, "I'm looking for a concealment (or carry) holster."

There's not a lot of point using a holster just for training. Train with the holstger you use for daily carry. Or, as General Don Starry used to say, "train as you plan to fight, because you will damn' well fight as you train."

I prefer leather... there are a lot of good choices for semi-autos, maybe start by browsing the Midway USA offerings on line.

I own an Uncle Mike's and it is ok for what it is, an inexpensive nylon belt holster. I have replaced it with leather for the guns I carry.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread Vern Humphrey and pmeisel. I had forgotten it was sitting out here.

I wasn't really looking for a carry/concealment holster at the time, I just wanted a holster I could use to get the gross muscle memory of drawing and firing my pistol developed.

I chose the Fobus, and while I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces doing live fire drills, I have used it for many hours of dry-fire practice.
    Jon

The classic old west styles (cows) that Sportsmans guide sells seem to be a bargain. I have 2 and they have broken in and carried well.
    si vis pacem para bellum