Thread: I want this....but what is it?

I want this....but what is it?

I stopped by this store that had a sign that said we buy old guns. Walking through, I found some really neat stuff but this thing caught me dead in my tracks. I reeeeeeaaaaaally want this thing, but I have no clue what it is. I sent the picture to a few friends and none of them know. After searching around, I think it could possibly be a matchlock but I have no clue, honestly. Any suggestions what this could be?

Sorry for the crappy pictures. It was on my cell phone.

It is the middle one with the fishtail looking buttstock. It also had a flat metal lever in front of the action. About all I can remember is a screw protruding out of the side.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

No idea. But it makes me think of Yosemite Sam dressed up as an A-rab, bouncing around on his camel chasing Bugs Bunny in the desert.

Actually....

I was thinking Elmer Fudd, LOL. I did a little searching, but found nothing. It seemed the mechanism looked more like most matchlocks I found. The closest I could find to this were all European, also. I am going to go up there tomorrow with a digital camera to get some better and closer pictures to post. If it is shootable and worth the money, I am going to pick it up. He wanted only $500 for it. He had about 75 guns that were all old like this. This place is smack dab in the middle of town and never knew he had anything like this.

Agree with rondog, something out of the Middle East.
    I don't have the expertise and you don't furnish a good enough picture to tell if it is a period weapon, a muzzleloader out of period because a tribesman couldn't afford an AK, or a tourist souvenir.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

It's from the middle east. The weird buttstock is actually held against the breast bone, instead of the shoulder.
    Other then that, hopefully someone else with more knowledge will post.
    " When Governments fear people, there is Liberty. When People fear the Government, there is Tyranny."
    www.sendoutcards.com

Well, I found out what it is, thanks to google. Turns out is an Arab Snaphaunce rifle. Pretty neat looking, but I found it to be really not worth the money he is asking. I am still going to try and stop by tomorrow and get some really good pictures of it. This thing was a work of art. Here is a similar picture. Thanks everybody!

"...Snaphaunce rifle..." Most likely a smooth bore. The Snaphaunce lock pre-dates the flintlock. Mid-16th Century technology. Arab tribesmen were still using them well into the late 19th Century if not later.
    It would not be a shooter by any means. Wall hanger only.
    "...thinking Elmer Fudd..." Nope. It was Yosemite. That cartoon was on tonight.

The Tusken Raider rifle?

H'ya, camel! H'ya!

IIRC from the year I spent in the Sealed Knot (English Civil War Re-enactment society), the Snaphaunce is the technology that was also called the Doglock in England. It was invented in the 1620s/30s and at the time of the English Civil War (1642- 49), Doglock muskets and wheel-lock pistols were what the upper classes and the cavalry carried when the Musketeers were fairly universally still equipped with match-locks.

Of course, my memory may be at fault... early firearms technology isn't my specialty. If you were asking about swords, now...:-)
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

First thought:

*uunnngh unn unn unnnnnnngggh!!*
    -Alec

It's called a kabyle, or moukhalla.

From Northern Africa. Algeria, Morocco, etc.

Jezail sometimes too. The weird flat butt is to make it easier, when you're on a horse, to rest the rifle while pouring powder and ball down the muzzle.

It's simply an impressive "wall hanger" for above the fireplace. MUCH more interesting than any oil painting you could hang there.

Nuff said?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45Broomhandle
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons. ---General George S. Patton, Jr.