Thread: Anyone tried a Split-Six speedloader case?

Anyone tried a Split-Six speedloader case?

I'm wanting to make a change from carrying a speed strip to a speed loader. Problem is, a speedloader pouch on my belt looks like a tumor.

So I am gonna try the Split Six by Safariland. Puts the loaders above the belt, and splits down the middle which, in theory, should cut the bulk in half.

They are designed for duty belts, but I wear 1.5" belts, not 2.25" ones, of course, so I'm not sure how sturdy the setup will be. I'm also not sure how comfortable it will be.

Any one tried one? Any better ways to carry a speedloader somewhat discreetly?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have one and it works, but I only use it for IDPA. I still live with Speed Strips in the summertime, and during jacket weather I just carry a speedloader in a jacket pocket. I too wear a normal 1.5" belt, and the speedloaders tend to sit totally above the belt rather than straddling it. I think this actually makes it a little faster, but also a little more prone to dropping the loader if you fumble at all.

Good info, thanks!

Do you think it would work out for concealed carry? Meaning, will it be comfortable enough, sturdy enough, and concealable enough to bother with?

I know, pretty subjective question but I'm so slow to reload with a strip compared to a speedloader, and practicing doesn't really seem to be helping out on the speed too much. Conversely, I am darn good with a speed loaded. I'd just be more comfortable.

Yeah, I know it's not too much of a concern, as reloading in SD situations isn't common, but it isn't unthinkable.
    Last edited by kcshooter; August 11th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Then There's DeSantis

...whose offerings will fit a 1 to a 1" belt. The only problem I have had with them is that it is difficult to slide a double-thickness Kramer belt between the cartridges. If you use a thinner belt, they work great.

Unlike the usual pouches sold for speedloaders, which only allow you to withdraw them by grasping the knob, these allow you to acquire a proper grasp by the plastic barrel. (Grasping the knob enhances the effects of any tremor you may experience under stress.

Ted Blocker offers a similar but slimmer concept in the form of a steel clip that slides over the belt. I just discovered that they are now offering them in 1 and 1" versions - I don't recall the 1" one being available previously. I'd go with these - they are really fast and they cost less.

Mr. Wenger, once again, thank you for the information. You are a wealth of it.

I've got one of the split six's on the way, I'm gonna give it a shot. If it doesn't work out the way I want, I'll definitely give the Blocker clip a try.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll stick to the speed strips. (Although I think the word "speed" is a misnomer...)

Desantis Second Six is a nice carrier. The cartridges split over the belt - mine usually rides three on out and two on inside but three on the inside and two on the outside can be done. Retrieving the loader from the pouch is easy and it does not bulge as much on the outside of your belt as do traditional speedloader cases.

the only thing you will have to get used to (if you have any tupe of gut) is the speedloader knurled knob poking you in the stomach from time to time. eventually you get used to it and stop caring. Or this can give you an excuse to get clearance from the Doctor and start an Exercise regimen

No gut, (I'm gut-less), but I'm not too fond of the knob sticking out of the top like that. But knowing that the split design reduces bulk still helps. I may give it a shot anyway, never know till you try. Plus there isn't a lot of pictures of that one anywhere I can find. Definitely gonna try em all before I default to the strips.

This is gonna end up being like a find-the-perfect-holster search, where you wind up with a box full of the ones that didn't work. Oh well, I haven't done that in a long time anyway.

I'm making a change from daily carry of a semiauto to a revolver. I've carried a wheelgun before but infrequently. So it sort of feels like it did when I started carrying, trying to decide what works best for me. I'm glad this time to have you guys and the forum here to guide me a bit, so maybe I don't make quite so many purchases of crap I never used as I did when I stated carrying.

Holsters I have down. I know what I like in a holster, and that doesn't seem to change from revolver to automatic. But deciding how to carry the spare ammo, that's a different story entirely.

I really do appreciate all the info I'm getting from you guys.
    Last edited by kcshooter; August 12th, 2010 at 07:46 PM.

There Used to Be...

...a website for a woman who made holsters, with a specialization in holsters for women. She offered a leather holder for HKS speedloaders that placed them horizontally, above the belt, presumably centered. To my eye, the design looked as though most users other than Victoria's Secret lingerie models would, in the first hour, have the entire speedloader riding outboard of the belt.

I will confess never to have gotten much past 10% over my ideal body weight but I never noticed the knobs of HKS speedloaders sticking me in the gut when carried either in the Split Six pouch or the Dan Blocker clip.

On a side note, when I first started using a DeSantis 2x2x2 pouch, I noticed that it started angling away from the belt and could interfere in my pulling up the hem of my untucked polo shirt, to clear leather. A little inspection convinced me that no one would ever notice the wrinkles on the back if I switched the way I threaded the belt through the slots, so that the narrower strips at the edges went behind the belt and the wider segment in the center went forward of it. This keeps the snapped pouch in a more vertical alignment and held closer to my waist.

Thanks everyone for all input.

Here's my findings.

OWB speedloader pouch looks like a tumor unless I really dress around it. Not willing to do that.

Tried the split-six holder, works well, really cuts down bulk and hides under anything but a snug t-shirt. Unfortunately, I wear a lot of snug fitting t-shirts.

Tried the Blocker clip, thanks to spwenger, and it all but disappears on my belt. Wearing it just in front of the IWB holster, which is behind the hip, and it has less printing than most cellphones.

My only worry on the Blocker clip is the exposed knob on the loader, I've been checking it a lot in the past 2 days that I've been wearing it and it hasn't rotated or anything, I guess time will tell, but it seems like a solid option.

The split-six and Blocker clips both give me more confidence in reload time, as I'm actually faster reloading from a pocketful of loose rounds than I am a speedstrip.

Scientific Method?

My only worry on the Blocker clip is the exposed knob on the loader, I've been checking it a lot in the past 2 days that I've been wearing it and it hasn't rotated or anything, I guess time will tell, but it seems like a solid option.
    Have you considered experimenting to see what it would take to rotate the knob when an HKS speedloader is worn in a Blocker clip? If you find a set of factors that will rotate it, you may wish to make sure that the same does not apply to the Split Six pouch, which also leaves the knob protruding through its perforated flap. I realize that if this occurs with the pouch, the loose rounds will likely still be there if you draw the knob and find it empty but, knowing Mr. Murphy, I'd be carrying additional rounds in a 2/2/2 pouch, a set of belt loops, Speed Strips or Quick Strips in a pocket or, in your case, possibly even loose in a pocket.

As an aside, the only malfunction I have ever experienced or witnessed with an HKS speedloader was one that got sluggish from an overdose of range dirt. As I recall, pursed lips and a blast of air from the diaphragm cured the problem.

The split-six actually covers the knob too.

But I haven't found anything other than actually turning it by hand that released the knob while in the Blocker clip. It actually takes a little more force, as the clip is also keeping it from rotating along with the loader's detent. Plus, there is a little give on the belt that allows some movement of the unit to adjust for flex as the body is in different positions.

My worries don't really seem justified, I figure I will keep a close eye on it and adjust as needed. I don't think I'll need much adjusting, however. It seems pretty solid. Just feels weird to have rounds exposed like that.

I did get a belt slide with 6 loops on it that I am carrying above my weak-side pocket, as a just-in-case backup. Same idea as the 2x2x2 but a little thinner, and cheaper.

knowing Mr. Murphy
    I've met him a few times. He's a jerk.

???

The split-six actually covers the knob too.
    Are we using the word "cover" to mean the same thing?

I find this to be an accurate photograph of a Split Six carrier and the knob is clearly protruding through the round opening in the flap.

Oh, that's the DeSantis Second Six. What I am referring to is the Safariland Split Six.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=370
    http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=371

Same concept, different design. And almost identical names.

Crappy picture though. The sides are open so when you pop the flap, you can pull it out by the sides of the speedloader, not the knob.
    Last edited by kcshooter; August 21st, 2010 at 08:57 PM.

A Good Example...

Oh, that's the DeSantis Second Six. What I am referring to is the Safariland Split Six.
    ...of what happens when I assume. I had forgotten that you had started out asking about the Safariland product - I have only used the DeSantis one. I think this smiley is supposed to convey my embarrassment:

I have an old Safariland concealed speedloader case.

Is is the 371.

It works fine, but is a little loose. If you read that back of this one, it is a 371-2-C.

This one also says 1 3/4" belt ONLY.

That is probably why it is loose.

I am betting it is also for a six shot revolver since my 10A HKS speedloaders for my M65 S&W fit well but my 36A HKS speedloaders for my M640 are loose. It doesn't help much that I wear 1 1/2" belts either. But it was given to me.

They no longer seem to have my model, everything they list now is black, mine is tan.

I usually just stack two 36A speedloaders together (the knob of one will go inside the ring of cartridges on the other) and carry them otherwise loose in my right front pocket.

I carry my Spyderco Clipit knife in the same pocket to mess up the outline some, and they seem to have no problems in the same pocket after having carried them there for the last 5 years or so.

Buckshot

I thought about that, but was unsure of the speedloader's chances of not being released in my pocket, and how quick my access to it would be if crouching, sitting, moving, etc.

But if it doesn't release inside the pocket, that's good info, might be a good secondary carry position for one.

kcshooter,

I think I had ONE release in the pocket in 5 or 6 years.

That was caused by something else I stuffed in my pocket "temporarily" and forgot about.

I have never otherwise had one let go in the pocket.

Buckshot