Thread: Proud Again: Muzzle Awareness

Proud Again: Muzzle Awareness

Howdy, folks.
    My 4 year old daughter has always been interested in guns. I make her follow the safety rules with every toy that looks like a gun and anything that fires projectiles in addition to guns.
    Well, we got back from Chuck-E-Cheese and with her tickets she got an el-cheapo nerf-style gun (pul the piston and push it and it shoots). After making it very clear that the first time I caught her pointing it at people or pets or if anyone got shot it would smash it with a hammer and throw it away, I let her play. She did really good.
    So 3-4 minutes ago, I get up and without thinking walk right in front of the "muzzle" of the foam rocket gun. She jerks the muzzle up in the air and apologizes for flagging me. I apologize for walking in front of her and tell her I'm proud of her.
    Something tells me it will only be a short time before I let her use a real gun at the range.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Nothing quite like that.
    My six year old went out with me this summer with the .22 rifle I got for us all.
    That miserable little wobbly sight rifle and her at a sedate 12 yards or so has an impressive group. Not so much by any of our standards but the girl can shoot! Its a great moment when you can do that with your kids.
    "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Joseph Stalin

http://obsidianjesterscourt.blogspot.com

Nicely done parent, in an unsafe world you are in the process of raising a safe child.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    One of my cop students came by my house one day to show me his brand new toy, a Model 1895 Marlin 45-70. We opened the action double checked each other that the gun was empty then after doing the obligatory shoulder, quick aim out the window at my large Maple tree I handed it back to him. He did the same thing, shouldered and out the window at the tree when 6 year old boy walks into the house. He walks straight over to Lyle, pushes up on the gun barrel and said in a loud clear voice. "In this house we keep the gun pointed in a safe direction."

We looked at each other, I think we were both blushing that we had just been told off by my #1 boy child and we agreed he was right, apologized to him and put the gun back in the box. I never told him but I was so proud of him it was all I could do to keep my composure. Might not seem like they are paying attention when you have them carefully taking aim standing offhand at a BB gun target and you are impressing on him and his sister it was a gun just like any other gun in the house but they do hear you and it does stick.

Kudos to you and your daughter.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I never told him but I was so proud of him it was all I could do to keep my composure.
    With all due respect, while I know it's against the old guy code, but you should mention it in passing. To me, it's just as important to tell a child they have acted appropriately as when they have done wrong.

I never told him but I was so proud of him it was all I could do to keep my composure.
    Tell him. He may very well remember it for the next 70 years.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money . . .

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    That happened in 1976 and he did get a bunch of positive feedback from me about it, just not right then. Lyle told him he was right, apologized and put his gun away, I think that feedback from a police officer and adult was all the feedback a 6 year old needed right then. Heck I was just happy he wasn't there 2 minutes earlier and saw me doing what he caught Lyle doing.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I think that feedback from a police officer and adult was all the feedback a 6 year old needed right then.
    The only two adults that mean anything to a 6 year old are Mom and Dad. When I was a child I had awards and praise for sporting events and projects, but the memory I'll treasure to my grave was the day my Dad told me an action proved I would be worth riding the river with.

Heck I was just happy he wasn't there 2 minutes earlier and saw me doing what he caught Lyle doing.
    Been there, done that and have a drawer full of the tee shirts.

Northern Idaho which I discovered really is below the Mason-Dixon Line!
    My children were told that if they ever wanted to see my live firearms, all they had to do was ask, etc., etc. When they got 6mm plastic bb guns of their own, the first complaint I heard from them was a very loud, "HEY! YOU'RE MUZZLE FLASHING ME!" They don't say that much anymore, but the habits I taught them with the live weapons stuck and I told them if they didn't treat it as a real gun, then I'd get rid of them.

A Gila County, Arizona sheriff's deputy complimented me and them both one time on their safety practises when he watched them shooting the bb guns. That was great feedback for me.

Any way you look at it, the kids ARE watching and they are learning whatever you're teaching, even if it doesn't seem like it all the time. Give 'em the good habits now and it'll pay off later.