Thread: .454 conversion.

.454 conversion.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I had a question that I can't seem to find a s
    straight answer to in spite of using the search function and Google searches.

I'm more of a 1911 guy, (gasp), but have a few revolvers, (S&W 686, Ruger Security Six), but recently I picked a Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC.

At the risk of sounding stupid, can the .45 Colt cylinder be reamed to fire both .454 Casull ammo and still fire .45 LC thru it?

It's the old model Vaquero so I'm not worried about the gun handling it, but I haven't been able to find out if it will work.

I've heard that .45 LC dies can be used to reload .454 ammo, so I'm not sure if it's the same as me using .38 Spl dies to reload both .38 and .357 ammo.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    I don't think the cylinder is long enough for the 454. If you look at the history of Ruger single action revolvers you will not find a single action chambered for 454. The Super Black Hawk frame might stand it, but the BlackHawk/Vaquero frame is smaller and lighter. Probably not good!!

You had better be worried about the vaquero "taking it" because it will dismantle that gun in spectacular style !!!!

I have fired Buffalo Bore hot hunting ammo through my Ruger ("Old") Vaquero with no problems at all. But the max pressure for .45 Colt "+P" (hunting ammo for sturdier revolvers than the SAAs) is probably about 25,000 cup.

.454 Casull max pressures are about twice that. So, maybe the cheapest and safest thing to do is just get some hi-test ammo for your Vaquero. Or get a .454 Super Redhawk and call it a day.

Hmmmm.

I guess I'll just load up some +P loads from a proven source and I'm sure it will be enough power to make me just want shoot factury loads.

Thanks for the info. I don't really have a need for the .454, I just want something for the times when I feel like firing something with a kick.

An Original Vaquero will handle some very heavy .45 Colt loads but it will not make into Casull country. A custom five shot cylinder will get you very close, but the cost will be near as much as a whole F.A. Casull gun.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

57Jeeper;

And the reason the cylinders for the hot revolver cartridges are 5-shot is to provide the necessary extra material to prevent a blow-out. Attempting to stuff a Vaquero 6 hole cylinder with Casull fodder is a sure recipie for disaster.

900F
    Birth Certificate? What birth certificate? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!

Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done. 꽁머니 1만