Thread: Tell me about my Remington Rand (thread one)

Tell me about my Remington Rand (thread one)

OK guys and girls, Remington Rand lovers and 1911 afficionados in general...

Please educate me better about my inheritance.

Unfortunately my grandfather died Tuesday, 10/5/10. He was 92. He was a WWII aviator who was responsible for training thousands of WWII fighter pilots. His last flight was in 06 (He was 88) in a homebuilt ultra-light. He had been airborne for over 70 years.

Interesting side note: One of the 2 mags I got had some tape on the bottom with some very faint writing on it - "WW II AMMO"
    Inside the mag were (2) rounds headstamped '43.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Sorry for the loss of your Grandfather.

The illustrated pistol is a USGI Remington Rand 1911A1 from the last serial number block assigned in 1944 but actually produced in 1945. No doubt a collector would go through it and check every part and every marking for authenticity and correctness. But it looks straight to me. There ought to be a letter or two on the toeplate of each magazine to indicate the manufacturer. Read up at www.coolgunsite.com
    If it checked out to a collector's satisfaction, the dollar value would be considerable, over $1000.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Thanks for the reply. Dollar value is rather irrelevant other than to make sure I am covered on insurance.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

I checked out that site: http://coolgunsite.com/

Everything about the pistol is consistent with it's 1945 production, and no re-arsenal markings. Finish is consistent and in pretty good shape. So very cool.