Thread: Tell me about my Sweet Sixteen (Thread two)

Tell me about my Sweet Sixteen (Thread two)

Please educate me better about my inheritance.

Unfortunately my grandfather died Tuesday, 10/5/10. He was 92. He was a WWII aviator who was responsible for training thousands of WWII fighter pilots. His last flight was in 06 (He was 88) in a homebuilt ultra-light. He had been airborne for over 70 years.

I have looked on Browning's site, but am unable to make a match with the serial numbers.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

The country is full of Browning Sweet 16s that are greatly admired by their owners and generally overpriced when offered for sale. I can't help on the period of manufacture, maybe if you called Browning and went over its serial number and general description with a real human instead of a website, you could learn something more.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Thanks for the advice Jim.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=13

My condolances for your loss. The US Army used hundards of Remington Model 11s (same gun) for aerial gunnery training during WWII. Your grandfathers reciever engraving looks just like mine (12ga) built in 1948 but my safety is in front of the trigger guard like a M1 Garand.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Your sweet 16 was made either in 1959 or 1960. The first letter of the 2 letters is faded and I can't tell from the picture if it is a 9 or 0.

0s=1960
    9s=1959

This is iaw "Browning Auto-5 Shotguns" by H.M. Shirley.

Condolences on your loss.

A buddy and I found a sweet 16 once Sunday morning in 1968, skipping church to chase squirrels. My buddy started across a creek, walking a log and happened to look down into the clear water. When he jumped into the creek, I thought he had lost his mind, but then he held up a shotgun, a Sweet 16 that looked like it had been dropped minutes before. No rust, just submerged in about 6" of flowing water.

We looked around for the owner, and my buddy even went so far as to run an ad in the local paper saying that he'd found a shotgun in a creek giving the general location. No one ever responded to the ad and as far as I know that shotgun is still in his gun locker.

They're magnificent shotguns and practically perfect for the upland game fields. Enjoy yours.

Cool story PawPaw