Thread: Tell me about my Winchester 290 (thread four)

Tell me about my Winchester 290 (thread four)

Please educate me better about my inheritance.

Unfortunately my grandfather died Tuesday, 10/5/10. He was 92. He was a WWII aviator who was responsible for training thousands of WWII fighter pilots. His last flight was in 06 (He was 88) in a homebuilt ultra-light. He had been airborne for over 70 years.

No history on this one, I can't even say I knew he had it.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Condolences on the death of your Grandfather.

May he rest in peace.

I can't help you with the rifle. Sorry. It is a beautiful rifle!

Catherine
    Closed Account

Winchester's 250 (lever) 270 (slide) and 290 (semiauto) were economy-grade rifles produced in the 1970s (possibly into the 80s ... not sure). They were serviceable, but the actions (at least on the 250 lever actiions) were prone to wear, under extended use. I've fired thousands of rounds thru mine (and bagged innumerable head of small game & varmints) since receiving it as a Christmas present in 1971 (or was it 1972???). It suffers from the occasional FTF, but is still a tack-driver.

Winchester also produced an economy version of these: the 150, 170 and 190 had no "checkering" on the stock/forend.

I've been seeing them for $120 - 150 at shows.

+1 what scbair said. I have a 290 that I got for a birthday around 1972 also. Shoots like a dream and have never had a problem. Haven't even cleaned it in years.

you can google Winchester Manufacturing dates and with the Serial Number you can find out what year is was manufactured.

Condolences on the loss of your Grandfather
    NRA & TSRA Memeber

Life's better Outdoors

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.