Thread: Hang fires

Hang fires

I have a T/C Grey Hawk using #11 caps. It's a percussion, not a inline. I've used 777 and RS Pyrodex. I've cleaned and cleaned. I still have hang fires most of the time including the first shot. Two distinct reports. Pop-boom. I'm using a Hot shot nipple. I remove the nipple and clean the hole in it. Clean the hole from nipple threads into the barrel. I use hot soapy water. Snap 2 or 3 caps before loading. Barrel is dry. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Flyrodder

The substitutes are harder to light than the Holy Black, so you might try some of the real stuff to solve your problem. I'll wager that solves your troubles.

If you can't get better powder, then attacking the problem from the other direction with more spark/flame would be how I'd go. Find a musket cap nipple to use with the bigger caps. Should help a bunch.

A careful drilling of the nipple hole will help with any size to let more fire get to the powder, just be careful to not go too big too fast as the fire goes both ways and you don't want the cap blowing off and hammer going to half-cock.

Try one or both suggestions and you should be a happier shooter.

Southwestern, Ohio out in the country about 40 miles from cincinnati
    With all that you've done I think Recoil has an idea in making sure the fire-channel is clear. To add to it all, I've got a leaning toward the musket nipple and cap for no better reason that they are larger and easier to handle. The TC takes a 1/4-28 nipple.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth

Thanks for the replies. I can run a .035" paper clip through the nipple. Do you have any idea of the drill bit size I would need besides being larger than .035"? I tried using pistol pyrodex(20 gr) below the main charge of R/S pyrodex but with same % of hang fires. Would I need to modify my hammer if I went to a musket nipple? I'll get some black powder(real stuff) tomorrow and try it. Is there any problem with using a small amount of BP to ignite the pyrodex charge?
    Flyrodder

I put a musket cap nipple on a T/C New Englander. No modification to the hammer was required, and consistent ignition with substitutes was assured.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

My last conversion to musket nipple/cap on a TC did require a little grinding to open up the cup. The hammer was a bit misaligned. A few seconds of grinding with a dremel tool did the trick.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth

T/C New Englander
    Basically the same rifle except the Gray Hawk is SS.
    Thanks for the info.
    Flyrodder

You could use about 5 grains of black as a starter (too much has been reported to cause irratic pressures) but if you have BP, why bother measuring and pouring twice for one charge? Just use the BP by itself.

Either the musket cap or going to BP will solve the problem. I had similar hangfires, though only occasionally, but since I went to BP it fires like a modern cartrifge rifle. Also; not all #11s are the same. There are CCI, CCI Magnum, and Remington, and some other more obscure ones. The CCI magnum and the Remingtons are both more powerful than the standard CCIs, but musket caps are a lot more powerful yet. Using BP I have not felt I had a reason to try musket caps, buit a little extra insurance would not be a bad thing.

From your descriptions, I would at least mildly suspect some structural obstruction in the flash channel, inside the powder snail (between the nipple hole and the breech bore, such as a metal chip or a large burr or flashing - the result of the manufacturing processes.

I looked for BP today and none of the 3 SG stores had it. Plenty of pyrodex and Jim S Gold.
    I drilled out the #11 nipple with a #60 drill bit(.04"). First shot was a Boom. Didn't blow the cap off or hammer to half cock. It was a 60gr charge. I'll try it some more tomorrow with stouter charges. The 60gr charge is for the Grandson. Just got in in time to drill the nipple and fire one ball. I picked up some musket caps also. I'll have to order a T/C7252 Musket nipple(1/4X28).
    The #11 caps are Remington brand.
    Thanks everyone, Flyrodder

Lose the soap. It might be leaving a greasy film in the hole.

Several years ago the WalMart in my town closed. They had a closiing sale with some real bargains. I bought all of the Muzzle Loading stuff they had. It included a lot of Pyrodex pellets. I tried those in my T/C Hawken and they worked fine at first but after 50 or 60 shots I began to get failures to fire.

So I went back to loose Pyrodex but the problem continued. I switched to a musket nipple and the problem is gone but I did have to enlarge the hole slightly. The musket nipple actually had a smaller hole than the cap nipple.

I have a musket nipple ordered. I haven't had a hang fire after drilling out the #11 nipple to .04" AND using a #11 Remington cap that stated it had 40% more flame.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Flyrodder

Flyrodder, you'll find that you'll really like the musket caps for their ease of handling. The most commonly available musket cap is nearly 3 times bigger than a #11 and shaped like a top hat which is great if you must de-cap for any reason.