Thread: Need help identifying this round.

Need help identifying this round.

I will post pictures later, but I have a full magazine of these and don't know what either are for. I'll describe it the best I can. It appears to be for an autoloader of some sort as there is no "ridge" or lip, looks like standard auto and is in a magazine. It is centerfire, with markings on the end. The markings are as follows:
    Top- 1-61
    Bottom- 7.62
    R.Side- N
    L.Side- VE
    The V is over the top of the E

Approximate dimensions, obviously diameter is 7.62, the casing is not necked down or up and the length of the casing is roughly 32mm with an overall length of roughly 42mm.

The magazine is double stack and the only markings on it are "G-Q" on the back or butt end.

Any ideas?
    Actively seeking a used, cosmetically flawed .357 lever rifle. PM me with offers.
    The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
    Come join the Second Amendment March, and help reclaim your birthrights as an American

I can't find record of any 7.62 round that matches these dimensions.
    Actively seeking a used, cosmetically flawed .357 lever rifle. PM me with offers.
    The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
    Come join the Second Amendment March, and help reclaim your birthrights as an American

.30 carbine.

.30 carbine.
    Makes sense, just wasn't certain. Didn't do a search for 30 cal, only 7.62 and the mag does seem to resemble what is seen sticking out the bottom of the Marlin Camp rifles....Thanks.

Look like this? :

That's an M2 carbine 30x mag, longer and curved
    Basic M1 carbine mags are 15x and straight, but the same dimensions at the top, like this:
    DON'T PANIC

French surplus.
    See some similar at:
    http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ordina...ine-ammo-2848/

Primers are corrosive Berdan, which is a Bad Thing in an M1 carbine.
    M1 carbine ammunition was the only WW II USGI to be specified with noncorrosive primers because the short stroke gas piston was not removed in field stripping.
    I don't know what the French did about that and I would not want to have to learn, certainly not for one magazine.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Thank you guys. Looks like a basic M1 carbine mag. the end markings on the casing are slightly different, rather than a "BD" (I assume meaning berdan), it is an "N" and the top numbers are a bit different 1-61 rather than 1-63 as shown in the linked photo. Maybe a more modern non-corrosive variant?

I got some German made .30 Carbine ammo a few years back headstamped 7.62x33mm; case length is 33mm and overall is 42mm a round nose FMJ bullet.

I would treat the French ammo as more valuable as a collector's item and NOT shoot it.

The French are the only ones known to have issued corrosive .30 carbine ammo. There is a chance it is noncorrosive, but why take that chance?

In WWII the US military tested a batch of .30 carbine ammo with corrosive primers: the test were a disaster. That is why all US issue ammo in .30 carbine is non-corrosive. The m1 carbine gas system is not user-cleanable and relies on non-corrosive primers and very high pressure, hot gas near the breech to act as a self cleaning.

Because all issue M1 Carbine ammo was non-corrosive, most WWII surplus carbines are likely to have their original barrels.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

The m1 carbine gas system is not user-cleanable
    I agree, and I own a gas nut wrench. Leave it alone in there! Not somewhere I want to go for a routine cleaning, for all I know I was the first person to remove my gas nut/piston in 60+ years, and I'll be leaving it alone for another 60 if I don't have any gas-system malfunctions.
    (got my first M1 Carbine from the CMP and it promptly split the gas block, they replaced it but I wanted to see in there on the replacement one ... waste of time)
    DON'T PANIC