Thread: Eddystone P14 serial numbers by year

Eddystone P14 serial numbers by year

I'm looking for a listing of Eddystone P14 serial numbers by production year. I have a low 5-digit one with a proof Crown GB 06 A on the matching bolt. This makes me think it was 1906 but I am not sure. One of the links to a supposed serial number site was full of malware, so I didn't go there...

Anybody got a list for me?

TIA
    Vic303

Vic.303,

1906 is WAY TOO EARLY for production of this rifle!

The Pattern 13 was built over there (Enfield?) in .276. With the start of WW I they redesigned it to .303 and changed it to the Pattern 14 made in the US.

Then they got the No. 1 Mk. III* production going and CANCELLED their contracts and the US took over the contracts and redesigned the rifle again, this time to .30-06 and it became the US Rifle, Cal. .30, M1917.

They moved slow over there before WW I, but they would NOT make a bolt in 1906 for a rifle that was not set down as a type until 1913!

Buckshot

Ok Buckshot, thanks for the date correction. The proof is stamped 06 though which is why I considered the possibility of that being the year.

However, does anyone have a listing of the Eddystone serial number ranges by year? I want to know where 29XXX falls.

I did some searches on your behalf without finding a www source of serial number data.
    But consider, this the Pattern 14 as in 1914, right?
    After the British got SMLE production up to meet their needs, the design was modified to handle .30-06 as the US Model 1917. So any P14 will have been made in (late) 1914, 1915, or 1916.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.