Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oleg Volk

Oleg Volk

You are THE MAN!!! I swear ... how did you manage to transfer all my PMs over AND manage to keep my user name (along with password) active? It must be the magic of "internet know how". I love the new site and the moderators here are the BEST anywhere --- and I'm a member of 18 forums.

I'm once again at home. Let's keep it like this until the day I die, and even beyond.
    The Anti-liberal

There's slow, then there's Nebraska.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=216153
    There's ADD, then there's this thread:
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=225740

The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution: "When seconds count, police are just minutes away."

Minute you die, we're splittin' up your stuff...

Parker

Let's split it up now!

He is so happy, it might take a couple of days before he notices.....
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Good point. See any .357 in there?

Parker

Just piggybacking here to see if my pic site is up and running.

Smile

^^^
    Your picture shows up. Where is your website, 230RN?

Cate

skldfg;lkdjg

Oh, Catherine. Just noticed your query. Don't got no Website. Don't got no Facebook. Don't got no Twitter. Don't got no Friends. Don't got no Brudder. Don't got no Sister. Don't got no Mommy. Don't got no Poppy.

<snif>

Those shells are 8-Gauge black powder signal shells for starting yacht races and as navigational aids. I understand there are still "lighthouse cannons" around the coasts of the US, where a Keeper, during foul weather, will go out and fire the cannon every couple of minutes in dense fog or whatever, where a lighthouse can't be seen.

I seem to recall there's one out at Montauk Point at the extreme end of Long Island that's still in use, but my info may be outdated by a couple of decades --especially now that everybody and their brother has satellite navigation.

'Cept my brother, since I ain't got no brother no more.

Terry, 230RN

Smile

Terry,

Thanks for the information. I 'had' a collection of books about lighthouses on the East Coast and in the Great Lakes region from many years ago. I do remember reading about shots being fired during heavy fog. My late husband and I used to sail and power boat and anything water related always interested us not counting his time in the USN - overseas.

I don't have any of those things either although I have considered starting a website.

I do not have a cellular telephone either.

I do have an older brother and older sister that are still alive though.

Your pictures came out very well.

Take care and keep warm.

Cate keeping warm in a winter wonderland.

Oh, I'm what you might call "geriatrically wired." I gots me a computer and a cell phone one of my sons gave to me for Christmas 3 years ago.

And I recently went from a 28.8K dial-up modem to a 1.5 DSL line, whatever that means.

So I'm right up there with the cutting edge of the latest and greatest technology.

Oh, oh! Come to think of it, I also recently got one of them electronical cameras! Amazing! Instead of colored dies for the pictures, they use red, green, and blue electrons!

Who'd'a thunk it?

See?

Terry, 230RN

Looks great when they're all sorted out like that, but what about when they get all jumbled up together?

Parker

Dial up?

What did you do with the left over tin cans and string when you got the cell phone?
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

That's his house phone. Duh!
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

You guys get mean much?

Oh, they're not being mean. Mean is the reaction when I tell them about the good old days wing-shooting pterodactyls.

Looks great when they're all sorted out like that, but what about when they get all jumbled up together?

Parker
    I had to look that one up...

If you are using pigments, which are referred to as subtractive colors, like paint, crayons, etc, then you would get a shade of brown.

But, if you are using light, which are referred to as additive colors, like the ones used for TV screens, then you would get the color yellow.

When using acrylic paints, if you use a 3:1 ratio of red to green using cadmium red and phthalo green, you will get gray by adding varying amounts of white to it. You can see a sample of this at filarecki.com/mixing-colors.html

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_yo...#ixzz1kAhO8rEf
    I guess magenta is a shade of brown.

This one made my head hurt:

Captioned with:

"The CIE 1931 color space chromaticity diagram. The outer curved boundary is the spectral (or monochromatic) locus, with wavelengths shown in nanometers. The colors depicted depend on the color space of the device on which you are viewing the image, and therefore may not be a strictly accurate representation of the color at a particular position, and especially not for monochromatic color."

Red, green, and blue electrons is as far as I want to go.

Well, maybe white and black ones, too.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#S...r_reproduction

Not really electrons. Electromagnetic radiation.

To go much further than that I need to get my son on the phone, and I think he is hungover this morning.

Interesting read of that article. I knew some of the basics but there was a lot there I never knew, or had long forgotten.

Mark me down for purple and gold as favorites...
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Oh, they're not being mean. Mean is the reaction when I tell them about the good old days wing-shooting pterodactyls.
    Let the record reflect I made no comment.

At least you aren't waxing nostalgic over DOS 4.0 and opto-electric couplers.

I'm sorry I missed out on the pterodactyls, Terry. What decade did they go extinct -- the 30s?
    Paul

What decade did they go extinct -- the 30s?
    What caliber for wooly mammoth?

Depends on the length of your atlatl...

Parker

Selena, a North American woolly mammoth requires 45-70. A Eurasian wooly mammoth on the other hand needs 9.3x62....
    Paul

Ah, those were the days. I wasn't much of a DOS user though, I preferred ProDOS back then.

What caliber for wooly mammoth?
    A .50-70 Government of course. Why do you ask?
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

*sigh*

First smart alec don't have a chance around here.

You are THE MAN!!! I swear ... how did you manage to transfer all my PMs over AND manage to keep my user name (along with password) active? It must be the magic of "internet know how". I love the new site and the moderators here are the BEST anywhere --- and I'm a member of 18 forums.
    ROFL!

I s'pose Taurus has never heard about the ability to copy digital data...

Would you believe I still have a copy of DOS 1.1 or 1.3 (forgot which) somewhere below the Iridium Layer of my sedimentary pile of discs? And Win 3.1?

About 5-6 years ago the company I worked for needed some data on some agreements from 5 1/4" discs they found after a desperate search in the storage area. The labels were all dried up, yellowed, and falling off, but there they were. See, the glue wasn't as floppy as the floppies themselves.

As the resident Olde Pharte (even then!) they asked me if I could recover the data.

I hooked up an old floppy drive to the MFM controller card of an older machine I had sitting around at home and made 3 1/2" copies of most of the discs (some were not retrievable), but the text of the needed agreements was OK. They were in an old version of WordPerfect, so they had to read through all the header and format coding, but it was intelligible.

Big hero!

Now retired, I'm waiting for a call from them because their latest and greatest machines don't have 3 1/2" drives on them.

BuwahhhhHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Terry, "Backwards Compatible," 230RN

REF (iridium layer):

http://www.akatoo.com/question.html?question_id=192317