Thread: Llama 45 Cal. Semi. Auto. Pistol

Llama 45 Cal. Semi. Auto. Pistol

I have an opportunity to purchase this pistol. It was manufactured in 1947 according to the "R" on the trigger guard. It has the following information on the weapon, Gabilondo y Cia. Vitoria (espana), Stoger Industries S. Hackensack N. J. serial #739049. It has the original Grips plus a set of Ivory Grips. Overall Condition is excellent Whats it Worth?

Thanks guys for all the info. I purchased the gun and traded it in on a Glock 23, Gen. 4 today at Cabellas. Received more than I paid for it at Cabellas.
    Last edited by wildrod; November 6th, 2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: New information

I'd pay $250 or $300 for a Llama in excellent condition.

When they work they're fine, but when they don't you're out of luck because parts are difficult or impossible to find. Some parts are interchangeable with standard 1911 parts, but others are not or require extensive fitting.

In my experience, they will not feed hollowpoints unless you do a lot of work on the feed ramp - of course, that's a problem with older 1911's also...

If you're in need of a "truck gun" and don't plan on shooting it a lot, then it may be a good buy if the price is right.

My experience with Llama firearms has been, shall we say less, than stellar. Of the four that Iíve owned I have experienced major mechanical defects in two of them, including one catastrophic failure in which the gun literally fell apart while I was firing it. The two that didnít give me fits (or blow up in my hand) were, in my opinion, of poor quality and cheaply made. I found parts and extra magazines difficult to come by and very costly. I wouldnít purchase a Llama at any price. And I wouldn't trust my life to one unless I had absolutely no other option (think pointy stick) as always YMMV
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Wildrod, were did you find the info for the Llama? I have one in .32 I inherited from an Uncle a couple years and still have not fired it.
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Cool

Wildrod:

I guess a "Welcome Aboard" is in order....

I would avoid the Llama....

I'm no gunsmith, but 1911 guys either have to learn how to work on 'em a bit, or have a friend who does. I helped a friend with his .40 Llama (Officer's-sized .40 S&W) and found all kinds of incompatibilites. Pins that had screw threads, things like that.

It also used the Swartz drop safety (Kimber likes it), but was mis-timed, so the firing pin wore a divot into the drop safety member, causing it to rub on the firing pin. The result was that a club member's reloads, with soft primers, worked fairly well, but factory loads with harder primers wouldn't ignite. Easy enough to fix, but you have to remove the rear sight, which was easy enough in this case, but sometimes not so easy....

(This Llama even had witness marks on the slide & rear sight. They seem to have expected me to have to take it off!)

Otherwise, except for the truck gun aspects (and I'd be hesitant about that), run away....

Regards,
    Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם

Go on over to the Spanish Handgun Forum on gunboards. We like Llamas there :-)

I collect 'em, and yea, some are better than others. I wouldn't trade one for my RR 1911A1, but I enjoy shooting them.
    Stating ANY opinion on the Internet is like handing a monkey a machine gun -- Bob Hoover

Wilrod,

All the Spainish gun manufactuers closed down back in the 90s so no new parts and you have to hunt for spares. If those grips are true ivory they are worth way more than the gun.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'