Thread: Australian 5.56mm Minigun

Australian 5.56mm Minigun

Has this weapon ever been fielded?, if so it most probably would have been a contender to the F89 Minimi. The images were found on a wiki page.

The KRR Minigun is a 4 barrel machine gun of Australian origin.The weapon is designed by Kerfoot, Ronald and Ross hence the name KRR. It came under WIPO Patent WO/1985/005442A1.

The KRR Minigun was designed in the 1980s as a response to the M134 Minigun, which is heavy and not easily portable and so is usually mounted in the likes of helicopters or flying gunships for infantry support asides the M134 requires an external power supply and so is not self-operated.
    It is the general object of the KRR Minigun to provide a multi-barrel machine gun for automatic firearm which is self operated, and can have continuous high rate of firing mode. The KRR Minigun preferably may be set to fire only single shots or short bursts. Other objects which may be achieved in preferred embodiments of the invention are to provide such a gun with an easily variable rate of fire in which the barrels have a long life and so retain their accuracy, and which can be easily maintained for servicing in the field.
    The KRR Minigun is a gas operated, 4 barreled machine gun. The barrel cluster is shrouded in an air cooled barrel jacket with a pistol grip portruding from underneath to handle recoil. The weapon comes with a fixed stock and an optical IR sight/carry handle.
    Patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO1985005442A1.html
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

The advantage of a minigun is a high rate of fire with the barrels being a slight moment for cooling. Mini guns clear themselves when you left off the trigger to prevent cook offs. Also you need to keep a large amount of ammo on hand.

With the above and its drum magazine, you would be very limited in rates of fire before being out of ammo. I don't see a advantage over standard belt fed machine guns.

I've used the Mk44 (Dillion M134 7.62mm minigun) in Iraq over several years. We slowed the cycle rate down from 6,000 rpm to 3,000 rpm and carried 3ea 3000 rd magazines on the gun trucks. You run out of ammo quickly with these guns. Look at the GAU-8 30mm minigun on the A-10 with its larger then normal fighter 20mm minigun load. It goes quickly.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Aboard ship we had the option to mount miniguns or 25mm cannons, we chose the 25mm's because they hit harder and are easier to feed.

The ammo cans are still ridiculously heavy, but they are lighter than the 3,000 round battle boxes.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Administrator   
    Must have been nice - we had M2HBs on gunwale mounts... only choice we had.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Gunwale mounts for what? FFG, DD, MkIV,MkV? Ours was 9,000 tons and designed by committee.

806684336_fLZMY-M.jpg
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf