Thread: Primer Actuated M16

Question Primer Actuated M16

Has anyone seen this?, the operation uses the primer to unlock the bolt instead of using a gas piston. The operation would perform similar to a lever/roller delayed blowback firearm but possibly more hardwearing, reliable and would also allow a free floating barrel for accuracy on DMR platforms. Its possible the bolt would work in an existing M16 upper although the gas ports would have to be closed off.

Would it be possible to use this type of operation in an AR18 derivative?

http://www.google.com/patents/US7886470
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

NO. I have not seen this with a M16.

In the 1930s, John C. Garand applied the primer activation principle to the first iteration of the Garand rifle. It was nixed, because it would only work with all new ammo that allowed the primer to set back on firing.

Applied to the M16. With billions of crimped primer .223/5.56 ammo in inventory, I see this as going the way of the 1st gen Garand, the GyroJet or the Dardick Troid. A good idea if it was the only thing available.

I believe Julian Hatcher did say in the 1930s the primer activated system had a lot of theoretical potential. It does allow for a mechanical simplification of semi-auto rifles.

Thompson and Pedersen introduced designs using hesitation blowback at the same time as Garand's primer activated system. Their 1920s 1930s goal was to avoid complications involved in the BAR gas-operated and Remington Model 8 recoil operated semi-auto and auto rifle designs.

There's a lot to be said for the primer activated system: it is simpler than a piston system. It is cleaner than direct gas impingement. BUT. It requires scrapping all the crimped primer ammo in inventory. Or keeping some conventional arms in inventory until the ammo is used up in secondary use (training, rear echelon guard duty). That complicates logistics.

As WHB Smith in the history section of "Small Arms of the World" said half a century ago in the 1960s, primer activation may have some future application. Is that future now, or still a generation ahead?

That's my view; others may have different perspectives.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

asdczxc

In recent years, the use of electronic cigarettes by adults has greatly increased. About a quarter of Taiwanese youth have tried e-cigarettes. E-cigarettes are mainly heated by using batteries and usually contain nicotine, flavors and other additives... Relx

jackson

I know your aptitude on this. I should say we ought to have an online discourse on this. Composing just remarks will close the talk straight away! What's more, will confine the advantages from this data. supreme saunas

jackson

First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics, i will be always checking your blog thanks. credit

jacsonalex

Your work here on this blog has been top notch from day 1. You've been continously providing amazing articles for us all to read and I just hope that you keep it going on in the future as well. Cheers! Outdoor sauna

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. Iíll certainly comeback. all season tires kanata

jacsonalex

Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. Face mask

Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. EMF Protection