Thread: Ordered Marlin Papoose magazines ... what are these that came instead?

Ordered Marlin Papoose magazines ... what are these that came instead?

Somebody pointed out the lack of gun related discussion, so in that spirit, this round of "stump the chump" goes to GRM first! (well, third, I guess. I'm the first chump and a large, un-named company's CS guy is the second)

So I ordered some new magazines for my brand-new Papoose (70PS, not PSS ... does that matter?), and as soon as they arrived I scampered off to see if they fit.

Some did, some didn't ... and I'm stumped on the ones that didn't:

Right to left - mag from the new gun, two Marlin 795 magazines, one Marlin 70 mag that DOES fit, then the two mystery magazines.
    The mystery mags seem OK but don't have the cutout that seems to engage the magazine interlock built in to my Papoose (an odd feature for a survival rifle, don't you think?)

Are they for an interlock-free version, another Marlin, or another gun entirely? Or are they just unfinished?
    They shared some (seller's and manufacturer's) part numbers with the right mag, but a secondary # was different.

I'm currently talking to the CS rep at the company I ordered the mags from to see about an exchange, they were cautious about making an immediate decision without consulting someone more versed in the exact nuances of these guns, which seemed fair enough. I assume they'll do a straight swap, as obviously some of the mags in the bins are the right ones, they just have to check for the cutouts, it seems.
    DON'T PANIC

Once I have a supply of magazines and ammo for this gun and the Henry U.S.S.R. AR7, I've been contemplating doing a writeup on the two breakdown rifles and comparing to a 10/22 and Henry Lever Carbine ... covering weight, ease of use, ease of maintenance/cleaning, packability, and what ammo they'll run as general utility rifles ... all I need is a few more types of ammo and a nice fall day at the range with the guns and a camera.
    I should throw in some .22lr handguns, too ... if a breakdown rifle is no more accurate than a target pistol, what's the point?
    DON'T PANIC

Administrator   
    No clue whatsoever.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

70pss

The "P" is Papoose, the "SS" is stainless steel.

The older Papoose 70P had wood furniture.
    CasedPAPOOSEhb9.jpg - MarlinPAPOOSE6ex.jpg - f15eeea0eeb671ff748069faa5a8405d.jpg

This magazine photo was accompanied by the following verbiage:
    Marlin25N_880_7rd_blu.jpg
    "Original type pictured above before last shot hold open slot was added."

Any of this help?

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

mine is not stainless, and the box calls it a "70PT" ... black synthetic stock, blued finish. It is new, but I don't know when it was produced, exactly, except that it claims "new haven CT" as the point of manufacture, so I assume it isn't a Remington-era gun, but I'm no expert on who owns/runs Marlin at any particular moment, I wanted another takedown .22, I'm otherwise ignorant on the Marlin story.

I want one of those wood stocks, anyone have a take-off they're willing to part with?

And that older mag does resemble the ones I got sent* ... but what has me confused is that the last-shot hold-open is on the side opposite the missing cutout, so I really don't know what the cutout could be engaging other than the magazine interlock.

* they're gone now, the company was happy to exchange them and reimburse me for shipping the wrong ones back ... expect a "rate retail & private transactions" post once everything is settled on that subject
    DON'T PANIC

Those look identical to the Marlin bolt action mags for their (now discontinued) Biathlon Rifle...

Regards,

Andy
    Andy's Leather
    Scout Rifle Ching Slings and more
    http://andysleather.com/

That sounds like a possibility, it seems that Marlin uses a limited number of magazine designs (which is nice) and doesn't update the guns and magazines at the same rate (which is annoying when ordering from somewhere with a large stockpile)

As an update, the company was Midway, and their CS was pretty quick on the returns, including refunding my shipping (as store credit, not an issue)
    Unfortunately, the second set of magazines were one of each kind.
    I sent a more detailed picture, and the second time around they didn't even want the useless magazine back, and they're sending the right magazine (only one left to "fix"

Hopefully they'll take my advice and have someone sit down at the bin of magazines and sort them properly. If I'd needed the Papoose mags badly, I'd be really annoyed, as it is, I ended up with four mags and two PITA magazines on the first try, and then five magazines and one waiting game. As they're trying to solve the problem remotely, I think they did fairly well - most of the issues seem to stem from order-fillers not being experts on Marlin magazines (I don't expect them to be), confusing part numbers, and the CS people not being able to walk over to the warehouse with picture in hand to ensure the right stuff gets shipped out after the first screw-up.

Going forward, I think I'll just pick up a 795 mag once in a while to round out the mag bag.
    DON'T PANIC

It is new, but I don't know when it was produced, exactly, except that it claims "new haven CT" as the point of manufacture, so I assume it isn't a Remington-era gun, but I'm no expert on who owns/runs Marlin at any particular moment, I wanted another takedown .22, I'm otherwise ignorant on the Marlin story. | Concrete Contractor

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
    сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
    сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтhaveafinetimeсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
    tuchkasсайтсайт

Exclamation

Looks excellent

marriage advice